Skip Navigation

Celebrating 150 years

Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Contribute to our Flickr Group

Faces behind the places

Harold AlfondAlfond Arena
Harold Alfond of Waterville, owner of Dexter Shoe Co., was a philanthropist, humanitarian and sports enthusiast who was the driving force behind the construction of both Alfond Arena and Alfond Stadium. In 2011 Alfond Arena was deemed “the best atmosphere in college hockey” and Alfond Stadium has been the proud home of Black Bear Football since 1999. A loyal supporter of the university and the state, he and his family foundation have donated more than $19 million to UMaine since 1968. Harold Alfond was awarded an honorary Doctor of Human Letters degree by the University of Maine in recognition of his many contributions to education.  The Harold Alfond Foundation has continued to provide generous support for UMaine Athletics and other needs on campus since the philanthropist’s death in 2007.


Aubert HallAubert_Alfred
Alfred Aubert served the University of Maine as professor of chemistry from 1874–1909. He retired from the university in 1909, three years before his death. A commemorative service held in the University Chapel on campus included a tribute from close friend and professor Allen Rogers: “For 35 years he gave the university his best endeavors, and has left upon it the impress of a personality which merits high commendation. He was a man of scholarly attainments and most genial temperament. He possessed in an unusual degree the respect and love of his students, and the friendship of his associates on the faculty.”


Balentine_Elizabeth_AbbottBalentine Hall
Elizabeth Abbott Balentine served as the university’s secretary and registrar from 1895–1913. She was the wife of Walter Balentine, the university’s first professor of agriculture who taught until his unexpected death in 1894. Elizabeth Balentine was given a temporary job as a clerk after her husband’s death. She soon progressed to treasurer, secretary of faculty and finally registrar in 1912. As the niece of Charles Allen, the university’s president from 1871–78, Balentine’s tenure with the university began during the college’s earliest days. During the 20 years she served the faculty and president, she was well-liked on campus. When she died, the campus, along with most alumni, went into mourning. It was said that Balentine knew the first names of every student at the university from the mid-1880s to her death in 1913.


Barrows_William_EdwardBarrows Hall
William Barrows graduated from the University of Maine in 1902, and taught electrical engineering. He received an advanced degree six years later. He served as head of the Electrical Engineering Department for 33 years, from 1912–45. According to the dedication pamphlet for the hall, Barrows is remembered “as a kind and considerate man, one who would quickly recognize the talents of others, and one ready to lend encouragement in developing a talent. Always sincerely interested in the welfare of young people, he advised them with care and thoughtfulness on all matters.” He authored a textbook on illuminating engineering that had appeared in five editions. He died in 1960.


Bennett_ClarenceBennett Hall
Clarence Bennett, who received a Ph.D. from Brown University in 1930, was a member of the University of Maine Physics Department for 30 years. He was instrumental in establishing the degree of engineering physics, giving UMaine one of the first such accredited degrees in the country. The author of four physics books, he was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Physical Society. He died in 1990.


Boardman Hall Boardman_Harold_Sherburne
Harold Boardman, who graduated from UMaine with a bachelor’s and master’s degree in 1895 and 1898, spent more than 40 years actively associated with his alma mater. He graduated from the university in 1895 and began teaching engineering at UMaine in 1901. Two years later, he was named head of the Department of Civil Engineering and became dean of the College of Technology in 1910. He was the first alumnus to become a UMaine president, serving from 1925–34. Boardman was awarded an honorary degree from the University of Maine in engineering in 1922 — one of at least four he received from other institutions. Many of Boardman’s students in the early 1900s went on to become nationally known in engineering, working on such nationally prominent projects as the Boulder Dam and Grand Coulee Dam.


Andrew CarnegieCarnegie Hall
Andrew Carnegie, capitalist, manufacturer and philanthropist, gave libraries to many towns and cities in the U.S. and Great Britain. UMaine’s first library was located in Carnegie Hall from 1903 through the 1940s. This was one of only two given to educational institutions, and was given as recognition of the acceptance by the state Legislature of the institution as a full public university.

Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress

Ava ChadbourneChadbourne Hall
Ava Chadbourne graduated from the university in 1915 with a bachelor’s degree in education and a master’s in 1918. Her Ph.D. came from Columbia University in 1928. Her doctoral thesis: “The Beginnings of Education in Maine,” reflected her lifelong interest in the state’s educational progress. She began her work with 4-H clubs, did graduate work and later taught a quarter century in the College of Education until 1942. An excellent historian, she supervised many graduate degrees, including a number of published theses on the state’s educational history. Chadbourne herself also wrote widely.


Clapp_RogerClapp Greenhouses
Roger Clapp, who served the University of Maine for 40 years as a teacher and landscape designer, earned a master’s degree at the university. His thesis centered on the distribution and hardiness of landscape plants in Maine and helped expand the use of less well-known plants in landscape designs throughout the state. His time was equally divided between teaching and creating the landscaping for most campus buildings built between 1940 and his retirement in 1969. After his retirement, he continued to direct the planting and maintenance of the flower beds on campus. His services to the university were recognized in 1969 by the UMaine Alumni Association with the Black Bear Award.


Cloke_PaulCloke Plaza
Paul Cloke was the dean of the College of Engineering from 1926–50, holding the longest term as dean in the college’s history. He led the college through both times of challenges, such as the Great Depression and WWII, as well as times of growth, including the opening of Crosby Lab, the Machine Tool Lab, and Boardman Hall. Cloke was interested in educational training for engineers and the curricula reflected pursuits.


Coburn_AbnerCoburn Hall
Abner Coburn of Skowhegan was a trustee of the University of Maine from 1867–79. During that period, he served as president of the Board. In the president’s portion of the College Report for 1885, the following reference appears: “The earnest and abiding interest manifested by Ex-Governor Coburn in this institution renders his removal by death from further participation in its affairs, a loss seriously felt by all connected with the College as the loss of a warm personal friend. The magnificent contribution which he made in his will to further endowment of the College will stand as a lasting memorial to the generosity of his nature and to his sympathetic interest in the cause of industrial education.”


Colvin_CarolineColvin Hall
Caroline Colvin was a history professor at the University of Maine starting in 1902. She served as the department’s chairperson from 1906–32 and may have been the first woman in the country to lead a major university department. She also was one of the first women in the country to have a Ph.D. When Colvin was Dean of Women from 1923–27, she worked to consolidate and strengthen the position of women on campus. After a new gym was built, women took over the former gym and a Women’s Student Government was formed. She began to call for more dormitories, and President Clarence Little helped her cause. When the first of the new dorms was built, it was named Colvin Hall.


Crosby_OliverCrosby Labs
Oliver Crosby graduated from the Engineering College of the university in 1876. In 1882, he opened a small machine shop in St. Paul and, three years later, saw the business incorporated as the American Hoist and Derrick Co., one of the largest engineering plants in the Northwest. His company manufactured munitions extensively during the First World War, and furnished the U.S. government with modern machinery to construct the Panama Canal.


Crossland_Charles

Crossland Hall
Charles Crossland received his B.S. from the University of Maine in 1917 and was associated with UMaine until his retirement in 1981. During that time, he served as executive secretary of the Agricultural Extension Service, Extension editor, alumni secretary of the General Alumni Association, acting business manager, director of student and public relations, assistant president, acting president of the university and vice president for administration. After his retirement from university administration in 1961, he received an honorary doctor of laws and became the executive secretary of the Pulp and Paper Foundation. He also served as president of the Class of 1917.


Cutler_LawrenceCutler Health Center
Dr. Lawrence Cutler received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Maine in 1928 and his medical degree from Tufts University in 1932. He was appointed to the Board of Trustees of the University of Maine in 1956 and named its president in 1963. Known for his interest in education at all levels, Cutler was a delegate to the White House Conference on Education in 1955 and served as chair of a Governor’s Advisory Committee on Education. He received the Alumni Career Award in 1978.


Deering_ArthurDeering Hall
Arthur Deering headed the University of Maine’s College of Agriculture for nearly 20 years, retiring in 1957. He also directed the Extension Service of the university. In 1935, Epsilon Sigma Pi, a national honorary society, gave him a certificate for an “outstanding record of service to Maine agriculture.” Born on a farm in Denmark, Maine, Deering graduated from the University of Maine in 1912, and received an honorary degree from UMaine in 1934. A former Kennebec County Extension agent, Deering was named assistant director of Extension in 1927, director in 1930 and, in 1933, became dean of the Agricultural College.


Demeritt DwightDwight B. Demeritt University Forest
Dwight B. Demeritt began working in the university’s forestry department in 1923 at the recommendation of Clarence Cook Little, who served as  University of Maine president from 1922–25. Demeritt was the head of the Forestry Department from 1934–45 and vice president and woodlands manager for the Dead River Company and Eastern Corporation of Bangor until his retirement in 1963. He died in 1972. The Dwight B. Demeritt University Forest was named for Demeritt in 1971 in recognition of his work to procure the land for the University of Maine. Four tracts of government land near UMaine — almost 2,000 acres — were acquired by lease in 1939 and then by deed in 1955, with the intention of being managed by the Forestry Department.


Patch_EdithEdith Patch Hall
Edith Patch was a major figure in entomology at UMaine from 1904–37. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Minnesota in 1901. She was interested in both science and writing, but could not find a job in science until 1903 when Charles Woods of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station invited her to organize a Department of Entomology at UMaine. Woods offered her no salary but arranged for her to teach English for a living wage. He received criticism for appointing a woman in what was considered a man’s field. Within a year, Patch established the department and earned a salaried position. She also wrote about 15 books and 78 major articles, including a three-volume work on the aphid. “Food Plant Catalogue of the Aphids of the World” is regarded as one of the most outstanding scientific contributions made by an Orono resident. Patch earned a master’s degree at UMaine in 1910 and a doctorate from Cornell University in 1911. She was elected the first woman president of the Entomological Society of America in 1930, and her knowledge of the potential dangers of pesticides was ahead of others in the field. Patch bought her Orono home, Braeside, in 1913 and made its gardens, fields and woods a living laboratory. She retired from UMaine in 1937 and lived at Braeside until her death in 1954.


Kate EstabrookeEstabrooke Hall   NEW
Kate “Ma” Estabrooke, the wife of English professor Horace M. Estabrooke, served for many years as house mother of Mount Vernon Hall, a women’s dormitory that was built in 1898. She was awarded an honorary degree in 1926. In 1911, a dining hall was named for Horace M. Estabrooke, who served as head of the English Department from 1891 until his death in 1908, but the wooden building didn’t last long. When federal funds made building a new women’s dormitory possible in 1940, the name Estabrooke Hall was chosen again, this time honoring Kate Estabrooke and her service to the university.


Fernald_M_CFernald Hall
Merritt Caldwell Fernald was the first faculty member, hired from his position at Foxcroft Academy to be a professor of mathematics. He was also the second president of the University of Maine, 1879–93, setting the tone of the university. He was a central figure during the first half of the century. When he retired in 1908, the university gave him an honorary LL.D. He continued as an emeritus professor of philosophy until 1916.


Fogler_RaymondFogler Library
Raymond Fogler received a bachelor’s degree in biology from UMaine in 1915 and an honorary LL.D. in 1939. He began his business career as an assistant in the Agricultural Extension Service, then worked with the W.T. Grant Co., eventually becoming vice president. He then served as vice president and director, and later president, of Montgomery Ward Co. In 1940, he became president and director of the W.T. Grant Co. He was assistant secretary of the U.S. Navy, director of commerce and industry of New York, past president of the General Alumni Association, the New York Alumni, and a Trustee representative and president of the University of Maine Foundation. From 1957–63 he was president of the University of Maine Board of Trustees. His four sons and three daughters are all UMaine graduates.


Hanibal HamlinHannibal Hamlin Hall   NEW
Hannibal Hamlin of Hampden and Bangor was the vice president of the United States of America from 1861–65, serving under President Abraham Lincoln. Before that, he was the 26th governor of Maine serving from Jan. 8, 1857 until he resigned on Feb. 25, 1857 to take a seat in the U.S. Senate; an office he held until 1861, and again from 1869 to 1881. Hamlin represented Penobscot County in the university’s original Board of Trustees and served as its president from 1865–66.


James HartHart Hall   NEW
James N. Hart graduated from the University of Maine in 1885. He was hired in 1887 to serve as the college’s first dean and acting president, positions he held until WWII. Hart also was a math professor from 1887 to 1937 and remained active for consultation until his death in 1957. Hart, who lived until his mid-90s, attended the dedication of Hart Hall in 1956.


Hauck_Arthur_AHauck Auditorium
Arthur Hauck, the ninth UMaine president, guided the growth of the university for 24 years, beginning in 1934. During his administration, UMaine grew in both size and status. He sought to maintain and raise academic standards, was a strong advocate of regional cooperation as a means of keeping education costs at a minimum and opening opportunities for capable and ambitious Maine students. During his term as president, 14 major buildings were erected. An auditorium was one of his long-standing dreams during this period, but expansion in other areas prevented it from becoming a reality. Hauck Auditorium was dedicated after his retirement.


Hitchner_Reeve_EHitchner Hall
E. Reeve Hitcher joined the faculty of the University of Maine in 1922, following his graduation from Pennsylvania State College with a master’s degree in bacteriology. In 1933, he was appointed head of UMaine’s Department of Bacteriology and served as professor of bacteriology. He remained head of the department until his retirement in 1959. At the time of his retirement, the academic building housing bacteriology, biochemistry and poultry science was named Hitchner Hall in recognition of his leadership, scholarly activity and contributions to Maine and its people.


Holmes_EzekielHolmes Hall
Ezekiel Holmes, a central figure in Maine agriculture in the 19th century, strongly supported the idea of a state university. As a member of the State Board of Agriculture and editor of the Maine Farmer, Holmes put forward the idea of a separate college, geared to the “industrial classes” when a Morrill grant to establish a college in Maine was made available. Holmes maintained that, in order to fill in any reasonable degree the measure of usefulness of which it was capable, the institution must be absolutely unhampered by any connection with any existing institution.


Jenness_LyleJenness Hall
Lyle Jenness came to the University of Maine to teach mathematics in 1923. Three years later, he became a chemistry instructor, and eventually was named head of the Department of Chemical Engineering. In the early 1950s, he was instrumental in organizing the Pulp and Paper Foundation. He was the first director of the Summer Institute program in 1960, a position he held until his retirement from the university in 1966. Following his retirement, he was executive secretary of the foundation for 10 years. His numerous awards include the 1972 TAPPI Gold Medal in recognition of his many contribution to TAPPI and the paper industry.


Lengyel_HelenLengyel Gym
Helen Lengyel joined the faculty at the University of Maine in 1924. At the university she earned a bachelor’s degree in 1927 and a master’s degree in 1936. Lengyel served as women’s athletic director for many years, retiring as professor emerita of physical education in 1949.


Libby_Winthrop_CLibby Hall
Winthrop Libby served as president of the University of Maine from 1969–73. He holds undergraduate and master’s degrees from UMaine and began his UMaine career in 1934 as an assistant professor of agronomy. Nine years later he was named professor and chair of the department. In 1950, he was appointed associate dean of the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture and dean in 1957. He became director of the University Extension Service (Cooperative Extension and the Continuing Education Division) in 1963.


Little_Clarence_CookLittle Hall
Clarence Little served as president of the University of Maine from 1922–25. An internationally known biologist, Little founded the Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory in Bar Harbor in 1929 and served as its first director. He later served the laboratory as director emeritus and as director of the American Cancer Society. Beginning in 1954, he served as the scientific director of the Tobacco Industry Research Committee. His wife Beatrice, a 1924 UMaine graduate, was a member of the UMaine Board of Trustees from 1951–1965.


Merrill_LeonMerrill Hall
Leon Merrill directed the University of Maine’s Agricultural Extension Service for 20 years. In 1911, he was appointed dean of UMaine’s College of Agriculture, a position he held until his death. Merrill formulated the policies of the Extension Service and established relationships with the farming community and the various other organizations in the agricultural field. Under his direction, the Extension Service grew to a key position in the agricultural life of Maine. In 1922, he received an honorary Sci.D. from UMaine.


Murray_JosephMurray Hall
Joseph Murray graduated from the University of Maine in 1925, and received a master’s and Ph.D. from Michigan in 1927 and 1929. In 1934, he was appointed professor and head of UMaine’s Department of Zoology. For seven years he taught during the academic year and directed the University of Maine Marine Laboratory at Lamoine in the summer. He was named dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1941, where he remained until his retirement in 1966. He received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from UMaine in 1972. It is said that integrity and sincerity were “fundamental characteristics of all his relations.”


Neville_HowardNeville Hall
Howard Neville served as president of the University of Maine from 1973–79. His emphasis on the quality of students was apparent through the recruitment of National Merit Scholars and establishment of the Maine Scholars Program. During his tenure, UMaine achieved Sea Grant status, funding for sponsored research was increased by several million dollars, Bangor Community College gained equal status as a college at the parent campus, and programs geared to Maine’s economy in forestry, agriculture and marine resources were strengthened. Along with Neville Hall, the Alfond Arena, a Fogler Library addition, and York Village were built during his presidency.


Nutting_AlbertNutting Hall
Albert Nutting graduated from the University of Maine in 1927. He joined the UMaine Extension Service as forestry and home grounds specialist from 1931–48. In 1958, he became director of UMaine’s School of Forest Resources, a position he held until 1971. As director, he helped develop forestry research legislation. During his tenure, a Ph.D. program in forestry was introduced. He received an honorary doctorate from UMaine in 1987. After retirement, Nutting received the Maine Black Bear Award from the UMaine Alumni Association for devotion and loyalty to the university.


Robert BuchananRobert F. Buchanan ’44 Alumni House   NEW
Robert D. Buchanan, a retired dentist and Caribou native, is a graduate of the University of Maine Class of 1944. The Alumni House was named in honor of Buchanan who made the naming gift of $1 million toward the new building. The Robert F. Buchanan ’44 Alumni House opened in 2002. The UMaine Alumni Association and University of Maine Foundation spearheaded the fundraising project and are now housed in building.


Rogers_LoreRogers Hall
Lore Rogers, an alumnus of the Class of 1896 and member of UMaine’s first football team, was prominent in dairy research. He served 36 years as chief of the Dairy Products Laboratory, U.S. Department of Agriculture. His achievements included the creation of the preserving process for butter and dairy products. Author of more than 100 papers, he was presented the American Dairy Association’s Distinguished Service Award in 1963. At the age of 80, he established the Lumbermen’s Museum in his hometown of Patten. At age 99, he spoke at Reunion Weekend as the oldest living alumnus and only remaining member of his class. He died at age 100.


Shibles_MarkShibles Hall
Mark Shibles served as head of the University of Maine College of Education for 24 years. Shibles served as the first chair of the School District Commission, formed under the terms of the Sinclair Act, and he was instrumental in the consolidation of small school systems into the present School Administrative Districts. He also served as director of UMaine’s Summer Session. In 1971, UMaine presented him with an honorary doctorate degree.


Stevens_JamesStevens Hall
James Stevens came to the University of Maine, then known as Maine State College, as professor of physics in 1891. Stevens established UMaine’s Department of Electrical Engineering in 1893, became the first dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1905, established a course in biblical history literature in 1920, and was instrumental in establishing a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa on campus. He was director of UMaine’s Summer School and editor of the University Catalog. He received an honorary doctorate degree from UMaine in 1922 and retired in 1932.


Thomson_RobertThomson Honors Center
Robert Thomson, a graduate of Harvard Law School at age 24, was appointed instructor of government at UMaine in 1947. Thomson was appointed assistant professor in 1953 and became professor in 1968. He chaired the Department of Political Science for two years, and was the recipient of the university’s seventh Distinguished Professor Award. Thomson taught a variety of courses, from Introduction to American Law to African Government to Comparative Economics. He helped establish the UMaine Pre-Law Advising Program and became the first director of the Honors Program in 1962. He led Honors seminars and directed students in Honors theses work.


Wingate_WilliamWingate Hall
William Wingate was appointed to the Board of Trustees by Gov. Joshua Chamberlain in 1867, serving as Board president from 1879–83. Wingate was influential in establishing the University in Orono, and helped to assure the necessary buildings for its development. His connection with the university marked a period of construction of numerous buildings on campus. During his tenure, he was a prominent member of nearly every university building committee and an adviser in university policy.


Edward WinslowWinslow Hall
Edward Winslow of Portland was on the University of Maine Board of Trustees for 13 years, serving as its president from 1907–11. The Westbrook native lived in Portland and was identified with many commercial and financial activities in the city. At one time or another he was president of Central Wharf Towboat Co., Casco Bay Lines, Mercantile Trust Co., and Eastern Argus Publish Co., and director of such companies as Maine Central Railroad, Portland Terminal, New England Telephone and Telegraph, as well as the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary and Maine School for the Deaf. He was even nominated for governor in 1896. In 1932, he received an honorary master of arts degree from UMaine.