Welcome to the College of our Hearts, Always
The University of Maine provides on-campus housing in 19 residence halls. Options include traditional undergraduate residence halls for first year and upperclass residents, suite style living for upperclass residents, graduate housing, and several living/learning lifestyle options. All halls remain open for Fall Break and Thanksgiving Break.
Fall Room Assignments
Room assignments for the fall will be available on July 1. Log in to myHousing on or after July 1 to see your room assignment information.
If at that time you do not see the “My Room Assignment” button, it means that you have not been assigned a room as yet. Students must submit a housing application before being assigned a room.
Check-in for first year and transfer students will be on Friday, August 30, 2019. Check-in for returning students will be on Monday, September 2. Classes begin on Tuesday, September 3.
Fall 2019 Housing Application
The Fall 2019 housing application for accepted incoming students and off-campus students returning to on-campus housing is now available.
Current residents who did not participate in Room Signup may apply for housing and be assigned by the Housing Office.
First Year Residence Requirement
Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience.
Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria:
- Aged 21 or older
- A veteran or transfer student
- Living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles)
- Exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet this requirement
Room Cancellation Fees – Fall 2019
Once a current student is assigned for the 2019-2020 academic year, the room cancellation fee will apply. Students who cancel room and board for Fall 2019 prior to June 1 will be charged a room cancellation fee of $250.00. From June 1 until the halls open on August 30, the room cancellation fee is $375.00. Students who cancel the Room and Board license after the residence halls open and remain enrolled at UMaine for Spring 2020 will be charged for room and board at the per diem rate, plus a room cancellation fee of $500.00. Board cancellation fees will also apply.
Fall 2019-Spring 2020
First Year Experience
The First Year Experience (FYE) program is for first year students assigned to the following halls:
- Hancock: Part of first floor
- First Floor: Education majors
- Third and fourth floors: Outdoor Adventure – all years
- Balentine: Honors – all years
- Colvin: Honors – all years
- Penobscot: Honors – all years
- York: First and second floors
Traditional Residence Halls for Upper class Students
- Aroostook: Second year
- Estabrooke: Second and third year students
- Kennebec: Third and fourth floors Outdoor Adventure
- Hancock: Second and third floors
- Hart: Second-year
- DTAV (suite-style): Third and fourth year. Baumann-Nelson and Chandler has some second year availability
- Patch (suite-style): Third and fourth year
- Oak (all singles): Third and fourth year
- Stodder: Graduate student housing
- York: Third floor
All students who request Substance Free Housing are assigned to the third and fourth floors of Aroostook Hall, regardless of class standing.