Developing and Strengthening Partnerships
Welcome to the UMaine Arctic
The purpose of the UMaine Arctic is to bring together people on our campus with an interest in the high latitudes. At the same time, we seek develop and strengthen partnerships with other institutions and individuals in the region. In particular, we participate in the New England Arctic Network, which operates as a regional hub for institutions in New England.
We run several seminars each semester (see Events listed below), and provide remote participation opportunities to seminars offered by other NEAN hosts.
Mission & History
The University of Maine has a long history of engagement in the Arctic and, more broadly, the high north, from Greenland to Canada to Alaska and beyond. Our faculty and students engage in the region to study and share information about the environment, engineering, human dimensions, and government policy. Additionally, we identify the impact of changes in the Arctic on Maine and the broader region. We perform field work, train, lead educational opportunities, model physical processes and economic impact, and consult. UMaine Arctic launched in 2018 in order to enhance collaboration within the campus community and with outside partners. We value diversity in disciplines and experiences, as we identify synergies and problems we address with greater impact by working together. These include:
- Identifying the regional and global effect of Arctic processes
- Helping New England prepare for the impact of changes in the Arctic
- Facilitating exchanges among students, researchers, and policy makers
- Providing Arctic-related educational opportunities for students at UMaine and beyond
- Providing more efficient communication about issues and opportunities related to the Arctic and its global impact