Get alerts and information by email!
Get all the important dates, deadlines, and reminders in your inbox by joining our mailing list! Don’t worry – we won’t bombard you.
Steps to Go Abroad
Step 1: Research
- Browse the program page, attend the education abroad fairs, and check out the UMaine Study Abroad Instagram (@umainestudyabroad).
- Ask Yourself:
What countries are you drawn to?
What countries are available to travel to?
What do you want out of the study abroad experience?
Step 2: Get the Details
- Make an account in AbroadOffice by going to the “Applying” page and email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on making an appointment.
- Meet with Education Abroad Advisor, Yijie(EJ) Ren, or Assistant Director of Education Abroad, Erika Clement, to discuss your best program options.
- Go over finances, funding, coursework, and location with the Education Abroad Advisor.
- Learn how to discuss your plans with your parents or guardians and your academic advisor.
- Ask how to apply for your chosen program.
- Ask your education abroad advisor:
How can you get the most out of your experience abroad?
What locations are cost-effective?
When are the program application deadlines?
What scholarships can/should you apply for?
Step 3: Academic Advice
- Let your academic advisor know you’re interested in going abroad.
- Find out what your curriculum will look like over the next year or two.
- See if your advisor can help you find the most flexible semester(s) to go abroad.
- Ask your academic advisor:
What do you need to take at UMaine?
What specific course content do you need to look for?
Should you use your education abroad experience to take care of your gen eds?
What semesters can you take electives?
What is Education Abroad?
An education abroad can be the most rewarding, exciting and challenging experience in your college career. It complements and enhances your academic and student life experience at the University of Maine and helps you obtain a wide range of skills, such as:
- Problem-solving and creative thinking
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Time management
- Language and intercultural ability
- Critical thinking
Education abroad opportunities come in different forms whether it be a semester, year, summer, or even an internship program. You’re not just given the opportunity to learn in a new context, but you’re also given the opportunity to learn more about yourself in relation to a new country, culture, and environmental setting. An education abroad gives you a chance to grow and achieve new heights within your life and academic career.