First-Time U.S. Passport Applications
- To obtain a passport for the first time, you must apply in person.
- UMaine students, faculty and administrators may apply for a passport at the Orono Post Office: 1 Bennoch Road Orono, ME 04473.
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:30am – 11:45am and 1:30pm – 4:00pm.
First-Time Application Requirements
- Application Forms: This form can be obtained from the Orono Post Office as well. Do NOT sign the DS-11 application form until the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so!
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (e.g. a certified birth certificate):
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists your parent(s)’ full names
- Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar’s signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- A photocopy of the Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- A Passport Photo: This photo has very strict requirements. Some local businesses (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and the Orono Post Office are a few) offer the service. OIP also can take passport photos on a dropin basis Mondays through Fridays from 12pm to 4pm. Photos from OIP are $10 and can be paid in exact change only or online here. If you go to a local business contact them for prices.
- Valid government issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s license):
- Out-of-state residents: you are also required to present your Maine Card along with your driver’s license
- A photocopy of your Issued ID
- Schedule in-person appointment: Go to usps.com, click the “Apply for Passport” section, and follow the instructions provided.
- Applicable Fees:
- $130 Passport Book application fee
- $30 Passport Card application feee
- click here for more information about the difference between the two
- Fees can be submitted by check or money order. Debit cards are also an option, but include an additional fee of $1.20
- Processing time: 8-11 weeks. Expedited processing (5-7 weeks) is available for an additional $60.
Renewal of a U.S. Passport
You can renew your passport by mail if you answer yes to all of the following:
- You have your passport in your possession to submit with your application
It’s undamaged outside of normal wear and tear
Was issued within the past 15 years
You were at least age 16 when it was issued
Still have the same name as in the passport (or you can legally document your name change).
- If you don’t fit these requirements, you need to renew your passport in a Passport Acceptance Facility, such as the Orono Post Office. For more information, visit Renew Passport website.