Employment Opportunities - Personal Trainer
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Athletic/Recreation Assistant V
Date Modified: 3/18/2010
Informal Title: Personal Trainer for Fitness
Supervisor: Assistant Director for Fitness
Responsibilities include providing personal training services to clientele of all fitness levels, including students, faculty, staff, and adult community members. Personal trainers are expected to adhere to teaching methods and modalities accepted as safe and appropriate by Campus Recreation and any industry professionals and governing bodies that Campus Recreation promotes. We expect our personal trainers to teach and model appropriate forms for exercise, and to conduct training sessions in a professional manner. They are responsible for facilitating a fun, safe, and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Conduct private personal training sessions for clients, following protocols as accepted and provided by the Department of Campus Recreation.
- Maintain complete client files and tracking sheets.
- Ensure clients’ safety by performing health risk assessments, demonstrating safe and correct form for exercises, modifying exercise intensity levels, and appropriately warming up / cooling down.
- Model, promote, and consistently enforce Campus Recreation policies.
- Participate in Campus Recreation and fitness-related special events and programs.
- Adhere to Campus Recreation’s confidentiality guidelines.
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion, and policy education.
- Maintain all certifications and written and oral communication with other student staff members, supervisors, and administrative staff.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As a Personal Trainer, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming to participants, outlining safe and appropriate fitness plans for their fitness level, interest and needs. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent decision-making ability
- Previous supervisory and/or leadership experience
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to lift 25-50 lbs
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe and appropriate operation of standard fitness equipment
- Reasonable level of fitness
- First Aid/CRP
Priority May be given to individuals with the following certification(s):
- Fitness Class(es): Any
- Other: AFAA, ACSM, NSCA or other widely accepted personal training certifications
Position Type: – Pay Level III: $9.20-10.60
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study – Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 3 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: Event Duration
Shift Days/Times: By appointment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Interested applicants please contact Cait Chojnacki at email@example.com | 581-3482.
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System