Student Job Opportunities
Entry-Level Student Job List:
- Maintenance Assistant
- Youth Camp Counselor
- Group Exercise Instructor
- Personal Trainer
- Swim Instructor
- New Media Assistant
- Marketing Assistant
- Database Admin Assistant
- Intramural Official
- Maine Bound Adventure Center Staff
- Keep your work space tidy and presentable
- Follow the dress code for your position
- Be knowledgeable of Campus Rec facilities, programs, events and services – even outside your area of responsibility
- Show up to work on time (early is on time, on time is late)
- Be able to work independently
- Take ownership of a problem and follow it through until it’s solved appropriately according to policy
- Keep a positive and professional attitude in dealings with coworkers, supervisors and patrons
- Be enthusiastic, have a desire to learn and a desire to work as part of a team
- Have awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Have awareness of risk management and safety concerns with proper training
- Model, promote, and consistently enforce policies for Campus Recreation
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants
- Have excellent organizational skills and decision making abilities
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion, and policy education if applicable to your position
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures
- Be friendly, approachable, hard-working, and have attention to detail
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have the ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Perform safety checks and awareness of Emergency Action Plans within facility
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Our student employees’ professional development is one of our highest priorities. We commit to the development of our staff by offering challenging jobs, with meaningful leadership experiences and purposeful on-going training. Our student staffing structure is such that if a student has the desire and drive, he or she can move through the ranks to a position of high responsibility and leadership within a four-year span. We also pride ourselves on offering a fun and friendly team-centered environment, with family-like camaraderie. UMaine’s Department of Campus Recreation is the best of both worlds… great work experience and a whole lot of fun too!
All applicants must submit these 3 items in order to be considered:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Application
- Marketing & New Media Assistant applicants must also submit samples of their design, writing, video, and/or social media work.
If you need help with any of these, contact the Career Center.
Please submit your complete application packet directly to the appropriate staff member listed below.
Operations – Eric Swett, Operations Coordinator
– Front Desk / Maintenance Staff
– Building Managers
Fitness – Adrianna Del Amo, Coordinator for Fitness and Aquatics
– Personal Trainers
– Instructors for Group Exercise and Instructional Classes
Aquatics – Adrianna Del Amo, Coordinator for Fitness and Aquatics
– Swim Instructors
Sport Clubs – Dale Russell, Coordinator for Sport Clubs and Youth Programs
– Youth Camp Counselor
Intramurals – Thad Dwyer, Assistant Director for Intramurals
– Intramural Assistants and Supervisors
– Intramural Officials
Maine Bound – Chris Bartram, Maine Bound Coordinator
– Front Desk / Climbing Wall Staff
– Instructors / Trip Leaders
Marketing/Membership – Sharon Kenney, Assistant Director for Marketing/Membership
– Marketing / New Media Assistants
– Database Admin Assistant
Campus Recreation does not require work study, but we strongly suggest that you apply for it. Work study will allow you to:
- Have access to apply for a wider range of campus jobs.
- Work more hours.
- Click here to see how you can apply for work study today.
Forms you will need to fill out include:
- The Federal i-9 form. This form is done at the Student Employment office. For information on what forms of ID you will need to bring with you, click here.
- The Federal W-4 and State of Maine W-4 tax forms. Click here for guided step by step instructions on filling out these online forms.
If you have any questions, contact Student Employment