Maine Bound Adventure Center Assistant
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Athletic/Recreation Assistant II
Date Modified: 4/21/2020
Informal Title: Maine Bound Adventure Center Assistant
Supervisor (Submit Application To): Chris Bartram, Maine Bound Coordinator
The primary purpose of this position is to provide excellent customer service at the front desk at the Maine Bound Adventure Center. This Assistant’s primary responsibility is to oversee the checking-in of the climbing center users, operating our software system, Retrace, providing equipment rentals, and signing participants up for trips. He or she will provide excellent customer service and always be attentive to members’ needs. The person holding this position is responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Operate Rectrac with efficiency, Maine Bound’s software system.
- Understand the general properties of all the rental equipment.
- Perform safety checks and awareness of EAP within facility.
- Maintain rental equipment.
- Performs excellent telephone customer service.
- Ability to sign participants up for adventure trips in Rectrac.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Perform general cleaning in the front desk and climbing wall area.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As an Assistant for Maine Bound, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and vigilant representative of Campus Recreation. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Reasonable level of physical fitness
- Belay approval at the Maine Bound Adventure Center
- Two references (professional or academic)
Priority may be given to individuals with the following certification(s):
- AMGA Top Rope Site Manager
Pay Level: $12.00/hour
Work Study / Work Merit: Optional
Time Commitment: Approximately 2-6 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2 hours
Shift Days/Times: Weekdays, weeknights, and weekends
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Furthering Your Prospects at Maine Bound
Every student begins working at the front desk at Maine Bound. We also employ students in the areas of the indoor climbing wall, challenge course, and adventure trips. Each of these areas requires further training, including in-house trainings, and professional certifications.
All applicants must submit these 3 items to Chris Bartram in order to be considered:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Application
If you need help with any of these, contact the Career Center.
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System