Assistant for New Media
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Media Assistant
Date Modified: 6/22/2023
Informal Title: Assistant for New Media
Supervisor (Submit Application To): TJ England, Coordinator for Marketing and Outreach
The primary purpose of this position is to create fun, exciting, and inspirational videos for Campus Recreation promotions. The secondary goal is to provide backup support for the Marketing Assistants, so please also read that job description. Additionally, they are responsible for facilitating a fun, safe, and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Attend events for recording footage.
- Creating and editing short film clips for website use.
- Work closely with clients and professional staff during production.
- Assist with tasks assigned to the Marketing Assistants.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As an New Media Intern, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and productive advocate and publicist for Campus Recreation’s facilities and programs. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent decision-making ability
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to use various types of standard office and retail equipment
- Two references (professional or academic)
Pay Level: $13.80
Work Study / Work Merit: Optional
Unpaid Internship for Course Credit: Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 6 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2 hours
Shift Days/Times: M-F 8:30 – 4:30
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
All applicants must submit these 3 items in order to be considered:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Application
- Marketing & New Media Assistant applicants must also submit samples of their design, writing, video, and/or social media work.
If you need help with any of these, contact the Career Center.
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System