Assistant for Entry Desks
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Front Desk Assistant
Date Modified: 6/22/2023
Informal Title: Entry Desk Staff
Supervisor (Submit Application To): Emily Norbeck, Administrative & Business Coordinator
The primary purpose of this position is member services at the all Campus Recreation facilities. Front Desks staff members will be trained within the first couple of weeks at either the New Balance Student Recreation Center or the Maine Bound Adventure Center depending on where you have applied. They will serve as cheerful and informative first points of contact for all members and visitors. They are responsible for facilitating a fun, safe, and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. All staff must be CPR/AED/First Aid certified and Campus Recreation offers certified training once a month.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Serve as a first point of contact for all members and visitors with a positive attitude.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Answer inquiries about the facility.
- Respond to member concerns as appropriate, and/or refer member to manager or professional staff.
- Control access to facility, including basic facility and program orientation as required.
- Sell day passes, snacks & beverages using RecTrac.
- Cash handling and cash out procedures.
- Perform other general office support duties as needed.
- Perform light-duty cleaning as directed.
- Monitor the building alarm system, intercom system, and phones.
- Respond to injuries utilizing proper Emergency Action Procedures.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As an Assistant for Front Desk, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and informative first point of contact for Campus Recreation. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in CPR/AED/First Aid
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work consistently through the academic year, including nights and weekends
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to use various types of standard office and retail equipment
Position Type – Pay Level I: $13.80
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 5 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2.5 hours
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
All applicants must submit these 3 items to Emily Norbeck in order to be considered:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Application
If you need help with any of these, contact the Career Center.
The University of Maine Department of Campus Recreation is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, and members of protected groups are encouraged to apply.
A Member of the University of Maine System