Lifeguard for Aquatics
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Lifeguard/Instructor
Date Modified: 1/31/2018
Informal Title: Lifeguard for Aquatics
Supervisor (Submit Application To): Adrianna Del Amo, Coordinator for Fitness and Aquatics
The primary purpose of this position is operations at the Student Recreation and Fitness Center, although there may be opportunities to work at the Town of Orono outdoor pool. Lifeguards will protect the safety and well being of each person using the aquatic facility. They will provide participants with program, swimming, and water safety skills information while enforcing all rules and regulations. They will assist with aquatic education needs, participant issues, and first aid/emergency situations. They are also responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Protect the safety and well being of each person using the aquatic facility. No other duty should jeopardize this responsibility.
- Promptly enforce all rules and regulations.
- Provide participants with program, swimming, and water safety skills information.
- Provide first aid in emergency situations.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As a Lifeguard, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and responsible representative of Campus Recreation and its Aquatics programs. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent decision-making ability
- Reasonable level of physical fitness
- American Red Cross Lifeguard/ FA/ CPR/ AED
Position Type – Pay Level V: $12.50 (Lifeguards)
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 10 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2 hours
Shift Days/Times: M-F 5:00am-12am; Sat 8am-10pm; Su 10am-10pm
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
All applicants must submit these 3 items to Adrianna Del Amo in order to be considered:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Application
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard/ FA/ CPR/ AED certification
If you need help with any of these, contact the Career Center.
The University of Maine Department of Campus Recreation is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, and members of protected groups are encouraged to apply.
A Member of the University of Maine System