Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

International Programs

Site Navigation:

International Students - Employment

Many students choose to work on-campus while studying at UMaine.  F-1 and J-1* students are allowed to work 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters and full-time during winter and summer breaks. 

Graduate students

Please note that students with Graduate, Teaching or Research assistantships cannot have additional employment because of immigration regulations.


To explore employment opportunities on campus please visit the Student Employment website.  Please note that international students are not eligible to accept any positions designated as “Work-Study”.

* J-1 students sponsored by the University of Maine must obtain special permission by ISSS staff to work on campus.  Complete the J-1 work authorization form and return it to OIP.


Regular off-campus employment is specifically prohibited for students in F-1 or J-1 status.

OPT & CPT Employment

Information coming soon.

Last Modified On August 8, 2013

Image Description: Print Friendly

Back to International Students


Contact Information

International Programs
5782 Winslow Hall, Room 100
Orono, ME 04469-5782
Phone: (207) 581-2905 | Fax: (207) 581-2920E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System