The University of Maine hosts a number of VISITING international students every year. Please note that Visiting non-degree students pay all tuition, fees, housing, meals and other expenses to UMaine. Visiting students are NOT exchange students. Exchange students from UMaine’s partner institutions receive a tuition and fees waiver at UMaine. See below for a list of our partner institutions and programs.
Visiting Student Application Process
Instructions: You must complete the application from beginning to end. You cannot save, exit and return to complete the remaining portion later. Prepare the following supporting documents in PDF format BEFORE you start the application:
- The application fee of US$40.00 is waived for visiting students from partner institutions.
- Language Proficiency Requirement for students whose first language is not English:
- TOEFL: minimum of 79 (internet) or 550 (paper), institution code 3916
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.5
- Students who do not meet the language proficiency requirement but have a strong academic record are admitted in the Intensive English Institute for language training until sufficient English proficiency is acquired for regular university courses.
- Official university transcripts in English or with accompanying English translations are required. Educational records must indicate subjects studied by year and grades or marks earned for each course.
- A Declaration of Finances (PDF).
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport.
Online Application: Visiting Student Online Application
- July 15 for fall semester (August)
- November 1 for spring semester (January)
If applying for the International Presidential Scholarship, your application must be received by February 1.
Applications received after these deadlines will be considered for admission, however, investigate visa processing times. In some countries, it may take several weeks or months to obtain a visa.
The University of Maine is a very affordable option for visiting students who wish to spend one or two semesters at the University of Maine. Review the Tuition and Expenses information.
If you are accepted as an exchange student, the University of Maine will issue Form DS-2019, a Certificate of Eligibility for the Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1). As a J-1 visa holder you are obligated to pursue a full-time academic program while at UMaine.
Partner Institutions and Programs for Visiting Students
Some of our partner institutions for visiting non-degree students are:
|Multiple||World Learning Program|
|Brazil||Science Mobility Program|
||Ocean State University|
|Shanghai Ocean University|
|Zhejiang Sci-Tech University|
|Germany||International School of Management|
|Netherlands||UStudy & USActive|
|South Korea||Sogang University|
|Taiwan, ROC||Asia University|
|Maine, USA||College of the Atlantic|