The Office of International Programs (OIP) extends a warm welcome and looks forward to your arrival!
We are very happy that you decided to join our diverse university. Approximately 500 of the University of Maine’s more than 11,000 students come from abroad, representing more than 70 different nations. International students play an active role in both the intellectual and cultural life of our campus.
OIP is here to help you prepare for your arrival at UMaine, and navigate life on campus.
This brochure is designed to help you prepare for your move to Maine. Read it carefully and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our office.
Office of International Programs staff
- Class Search – interactive class schedule/timetable
- Course Descriptions – all courses in UMaine catalog (doesn’t indicate which semester courses are offered)
- Undergraduate Catalog – all courses on record
Financial Responsibility Statement
- Accept your Financial Responsibility Statement in MaineStreet before class registration. See the FRS Instructions
- Schedule of classes and enrollment information
- Enrolling via Wish List
- Dropping a Class – international undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits each semester
- Self-Service Enrollment Verification
- How to transfer your credits to UMaine – completed before course registration for the first semester at UMaine
- Placement tests – complete for math, English composition, foreign languages and music before course registration
- Course Prefixes (e.g. POS stands for Political Science courses)
- Building Abbreviations
- A guide to UMaine services and facilities
- List of Colleges
- List of Majors and Minors’
International Success Program (ISP)
Mandatory retention program for new first year and transfer international students to UMaine. Read more about the program here.