The Office of International Programs (OIP) eagerly awaits your arrival!
Welcome to UMaine, a diverse campus that we hope you’re excited to call home for your upcoming semester(s). Our international students have always played an active role in both the intellectual and cultural life of our campus, so we’re always excited to welcome more! Between our clubs, intramural activities, and campus events you’ll have no shortage of things to do. Also, be sure to check out our bucket list: 50 Things to Do. You can find the link here.
Of course, we know that coming to a new country to study can be daunting, but OIP is here to help you prepare for your arrival to UMaine, and to navigate life on campus.
We’ve created this brochure to help you prepare for your move to Maine. Read it carefully and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our office.
Welcome to the Black Bear family!
Office of International Programs staff
Arrival and Orientation Information
Things to do before arrival
Activate your UMaine Account & Recover your lost password
Confirm your Enrollment
Apply for Visa
Apply for Housing
Apply for Meal Plan
Apply for your MaineCard (student ID card)
International Health Insurance
Arrival Form - Submit Arrival Details
Attend or View Pre-Arrival Sessions
Course Registration for Newly Admitted International Students
These videos are helpful to learn the basics of your Mainestreet account
- How to activate your MaineStreet account
- MaineStreet basics
- How to accept your Financial Terms and Conditions
- How to create a Wish List and enroll in classes
Financial Terms and Conditions – Important!
- Before we can register you for your first semester of classes, you must complete the Financial Terms and Conditions (FTC) in your MaineStreet Student Service listed in the To Do list. Read the full FTC text. Read the FTC Frequently Asked Questions.
- Placement tests – complete for math, English composition, foreign languages and music before course registration
- ** If you need a pin for any of these please reach out to us at email@example.com so we can help you access this pin
Terminology and Handouts
Conditionally Admitted Students
- Course registration with the Intensive English Institute (IEI). Read more here. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Class Search – interactive class schedule/timetable
- Course Descriptions – all courses in UMaine catalog (doesn’t indicate which semester courses are offered)
- Undergraduate Catalog – all courses on record
Enrolling in Courses – Quick ‘How To’ Videos
- Undergraduate student course enrollment information
- Graduate students course enrollment information
- Using the Course Planner and Wish List– utilize this tool to plan your enrollment in future semesters.
- Dropping or Adding a Class
- Self-Service Enrollment Verification
- How to transfer your credits to UMaine – completed before course registration for the first semester at UMaine