A student in F-1 or J-1 status can request to have their SEVIS record transferred to another institution, if they meet all eligibility requirements for a SEVIS transfer.
The SEVIS transfer request can be submitted while a student is still enrolled in their program, but the SEVIS transfer isn’t effective until after completion of program or of current semester.
SEVIS Transfer Eligibility and Deadlines
- Must be in lawful F-1 or J-1 status.
- F-1 students must submit the transfer-out request at their current institution before their 60 day grace period ends, if completing a program. If not completing a program and the I-20 is set to expire at the end of current semester, transfer-out request must be submitted before I-20 expires.
- J-1 students must request transfer-out at their current institution before their 30 grace period ends if completing a program and the DS-2019 is valid for at least 30 days after completion date. If the DS-2019 expires at the end of the current semester, the request to transfer-out must be submitted before the DS-2019 expires.
- Must begin new program within 5 months of completing current program.
SEVIS Transfer and Travel
If you plan to travel outside the United States after your SEVIS transfer is effective, you will need to have your new I-20 or DS-2019 in hand in order to return to the US.
SEVIS Transfer-In Procedures:
If you are transferring to the University of Maine from another U.S. school, you must follow the procedures outlined below. Immigration transfers are possible when the time between the end of your current program and the beginning of your new program at UMaine does not exceed 5 months. You can begin the SEVIS Transfer-in process once you receive your admission letter from the University of Maine.
- Notify the school you currently attend that you wish to transfer to the University of Maine. Ask the International Student Advisor there to enter into SEVIS your intent to transfer to the University of Maine. Please note that in SEVIS, our campus appears as “University of Maine – University of Maine”, our school code is POM214F00149000 and our program number is P-1-01822.
- Ask your current international student advisor to complete the Transfer Verification Form at the end of your current program, and submit according to instructions on the form.
- Submit documents listed on the “Transfer Docs Missing” form you received with your admission letter and submit according to instructions on this form.
Once we receive all the documents and review them, we will issue the new I-20 or DS-2019 if all is in order.
- Report to our office, the Office of International Programs (240 Estabrooke Hall), no later than 15 days after the start date on your UMaine I-20 or DS-2019 and request that we complete the transfer process. Failure to follow these instructions may result in a violation of your immigration status.
SEVIS Transfer-Out Procedures:
Once you’ve received an admission letter from the institution you wish to attend, and you are certain you will attend that institution, you can submit the “Transfer OUT Request Form” and a copy of your admission letter. You can drop them off at the front desk in 240 Estabrooke Hall, or email both documents to email@example.com
If all is in order, your request to transfer out will be processed in SEVIS. Once the transfer release date occurs, the new institution will be able to issue your new I-20 or DS-2019. Be sure to contact your new institution to give them instructions on how to handle your new I-20 or DS-2019.
Transfer Verification Form
As part of the SEVIS Transfer, your new institution may request that we complete out a “Transfer Verification Form”, verifying you are in good standing. This form can be dropped off at OIP’s front desk, 240 Estabrooke Hall, or it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org