Transfer requests can be made at the International Student & Scholar Services office at your school.
- Must be in lawful F-1 or J-1 status.
- F-1 students with a completed program- Make your request no later than during the 60 day grace period following your completion date, and while student is still in the US.
- F-1 students leaving active program before completion- Make you submit your request before I-20 expires.
- J-1 students with a completed program- Make your request before your DS-2019 expires or within the 30 day grace period, if your DS-2019 is valid into the future.
- J-1 student leaving active program before completion- Make your request before the DS-2019 expires.
- F-1 students: new program must begin within 5 months of completing current program.
If you plan to travel outside the United States after your SEVIS transfer is effective, you will need to have your UMaine I-20 or DS-2019 in hand in order to return to the US.
Be sure to request a transfer date after completion of your intended employment dates. Once your transfer release date is current and your record is under the jurisdiction of the new school, your OPT is cancelled.
Immigration transfers are possible when the time between the end of your current program and the beginning of your new program at UMaine does not exceed 5 months. You can begin the SEVIS Transfer-in process once you receive your admission letter from the University of Maine.
- Notify the school you currently attend that you wish to transfer to the University of Maine. Ask the International Student Advisor there to enter into SEVIS your intent to transfer to the University of Maine. Please note that in SEVIS, our campus appears as “University of Maine – University of Maine”, our school code is POM214F00149000 and our program number is P-1-01822. IMPORTANT- Your advisor must transfer your SEVIS record to UMAINE while you are in the United States. If you are traveling outside the US notify your international student advisor and request that they make the transfer before you leave.
- Ask your current international student advisor to complete this Transfer Verification Form at the end of your current program, and submit according to instructions on the form.
- Submit documents listed on the “Transfer Docs Missing” form you received with your admission letter and submit according to instructions on this form. We will issue the new I-20 or DS-2019 after we review and approve your documents.
- Report to our office, the Office of International Programs (300 Stodder Hall), no later than 15 days after the start date on your UMaine I-20 or DS-2019 and request that we complete the transfer process. Failure to follow these instructions may result in a violation of your immigration status.
Transferring your SEVIS record to another institution can only be done after you have received an admission letter from the new institution and you have made a final decision to attend.
- Submit this “Transfer OUT Request Form” and a copy of your admission letter to OIP. You can drop them off at the front desk in 300 Stodder Hall, or email both documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your request to transfer out will be processed in SEVIS in 2-3 business days. The new institution will be able to issue your new I-20 or DS-2019 on or after the transfer release date you listed on the form. Be sure to contact your new institution to give them instructions on where to send your new I-20 or DS-2019.
Transfer Verification Form from Receiving Institution
As part of the SEVIS Transfer, your new institution may request that we complete out a “Transfer Verification Form”, verifying you are in good standing. This form can be dropped off at OIP’s front desk, 300 Stodder Hall, or it can be emailed to email@example.com. Be sure to complete the top portion of the form and sign it showing that UMaine has permission to share your information with the new school.
Transfer Verification forms take 2-3 business days to process.