Activating your UMaine online accounts
Activating your UMS Account
Your UMS account grants access to the MaineStreet, the student records system, and your @maine.edu email account. Activate this as soon as possible. You will receive important information about campus housing, registration and student services at your @maine.edu email address. To activate your account:
- Go to UMaine’s Account Activation page and follow the directions for “admission applicants and students”.
- Enter your Student ID and Activation Code provided in your admission letter, or the very first automated email or letter you received when you started your application for UMaine.
- After you submit your activation, the activation web site generates an acknowledgement. The acknowledgement contains your new UMS User Name, password, and email address. This information should be kept private. Please save or print the information and keep it in a secure place.
- Once you have activated your account, you will have access to both your MaineStreet portal and email@example.com email account.
Recover a lost password
If you already activated your account, you can recover you password here. You will need:
- your student identification number listed on your admission letter or the email you received when you first submitted your application to UMaine.
- your username “firstname.lastname”
- then you will be prompted to answer the security questions you set when you activated your account.
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or call at (1) 207-581-2506.
MaineStreet allows you to access and manage your academic records and financial information, all in one easy-to-use site. MaineStreet is used to add and drop courses, view account balances, check course schedules, make payments, peruse student records and more. Because a few key functions of MaineStreet have changed, a tutorial is offered.
- After you activate your UMS Account (see information above), login to MaineStreet.
- Click on MaineStreet Login.
- Enter your MaineStreet ID and password from Step 3 in the UMS Account activation instructions above.
- Click Student Self-Service in menu on the left.
- Click Student Center.
@MAINE.EDU Email Account
The University will use your @maine.edu email account to communicate important information to you about campus housing, registration and student services. You are responsible for any information sent you at this account. It is essential that you begin using this email account immediately. You can either check it regularly or you can forward it to an account that you use regularly.
- Go to http://gmail.maine.edu
- Log in using your UMS User Name and password from Step 3 in the UMS Account activation instructions above.
The UMaine Portal at is a single sign-on portal used to access all of your UMaine apps – your UMaine email @maine.edu, MaineStreet, BlackBoard, your calendar, etc. Logging into the portal requires the use of your MaineStreet account user name and password. It can be accessed at http://my.umaine.edu
Need Technical support?
If you have difficulty activating, logging in to, or using your UMaine portal or accounts, please visit our support site. This site has information about your UMS account and the MaineStreet portal and provides links to helpful resource. If you need further assistance, you may call the UMaine IT Help Desk at (207) 581-2506 or email at email@example.com .
Financial Responsibility Statement
All students must complete the Financial Responsibility Statement (FRS) before enrolling in classes. The FRS is a legal agreement between the student/University of Maine System explaining the financial obligation of the student. Ensuring that students understand the financial commitment they are making when they register for courses is an important component of a student’s financial literacy and is also required by the Federal Bureau of Consumer Protection.
If you have any questions pertaining to the FRS, please contact the Bursar’s Office at 207.581.1521.