International Undergraduate Admissions
- Complete one of our applications – the Common Application, the UMaine Mobile Application or the ApplyMaine Application.
- Submit transcripts of all previous secondary/high school or university work (submission requirements by country). In addition, if the document is not in English, submit a certified English translation.
- We can accept copies of transcripts and test scores submitted by the student to email@example.com. Once admitted, the student will be required to submit official documents to our office before class registration is possible.
- Submit an English language proficiency test. See our test waiver policy lower on this page.
- Submit a Declaration of Finances along with supporting documents via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If submitted with the application, this form expedites the issuing of the I-20 (immigration document).
- Submit a copy of passport ID page and submit via e-mail to email@example.com.
Priority application deadline for scholarship consideration is February 1 for fall semester (August) and November 1 for spring semester (January). Applications received after these deadlines will be considered for admission and scholarships on space available basis.
Investigate visa processing times. In some countries, it may take several weeks or months to obtain a visa.
Transcript Submission Requirements
Secondary School Transcripts
- Uploaded by a school official through the Common Application
- Mailed directly from the organization issuing the transcript to:
|Sent via airmail or equivalent:||Application Processing
PO Box 412
Bangor, ME 04402-0412
|Shipped using courier service
(FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) :
|Office of International Programs
5775 Stodder Hall, Room 300
20 Stodder Drive
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5775
- US State Department’s Education USA program. Please visit the link provided to make sure that services are available in your country. Education USA transcripts submitted via email should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must clearly indicate in the subject line “accept as official copy from EducationUSA”
In addition, if the document is not in English, submit a certified English translation.
Please visit the International Transfer Credit Evaluation page for more information on submitting higher education transcripts.
English Language Requirements
All applicants must request that an official English language proficiency exam score is submitted to UMaine by the testing agency:
- TOEFL (including the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition) – minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based test). Click here for test score submission instructions. UMaine’s institution code 3916. Please note: as of August 2019, TOEFL will include superscores or “MyBest Scores” on all score reports. We will accept and evaluate these scores the same way we consider superscores for all other tests.
- IELTS (including the IELTS Indicator online test) – minimum score of 6.5. Click here for information on submitting your test scores.
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) – minimum score of 53.
- CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) – completed level C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English).
- DET (Duolingo English Test) – minimum score of 105. Due to the ongoing global health pandemic, UMaine will continue accepting the DET score as an approved method to demonstrate English proficiency (valid for Spring 2022 and Fall 2022 admission cycles). Click here for information on submitting your official DET score to UMaine.
- Waived language test if:
- native speaker of English (e.g., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, U.K.);
- SAT Verbal score is 550 or higher; Click here for information on submitting SAT scores. Institution code: 3916
- ACT English score is 24 or higher; Click here for information on submitting ACT scores. Institution code: 1664
- high school transcript clearly states that English is the language of instruction of all subjects;
- student studying in the U.S. or Canada for two or more years and not in an ESL track;
- student has successfully passed an English Composition course at a U.S. higher education institution with a grade of C or higher, even if student has not studied in the U.S. for two or more years;
- successfully passed the English placement test at UMaine’s Intensive English Institute.
Students who do not meet the language proficiency requirement but have a strong academic record may be admitted conditionally. Conditionally admitted students enroll in the university’s Intensive English Institute for appropriate English coursework until suitable English proficiency is acquired.
The University of Maine has an Honors College for students with very strong academic records. Students are automatically considered for the Honors College as part of the Admissions process, and Admission to the College is by invitation. However, if you are interested in learning more about the Honors College or being considered for admission, email email@example.com or visit https://honors.umaine.edu/.
Chinese Transfer Applicant Requirements
If you are transferring from a university in China to UMaine, please arrange for a verification report of your university transcript with the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). The report must be mailed directly to the Office of International Programs by the CDGDC, rather than by you or a third party.
CDGDC: 18th Floor, Tongfang Scientific Building, B-17, No. 1, Wangzhuang Rd., Haidan District, Beijing 100083, China, Tel: 86.10.82379480, Fax: 86.10.82379491, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: www.cdgdc.edu.cn
Checking your Application Status
Information will be sent via email for activation of your UMaine email and MaineStreet accounts. You will be able to check the status of your application online via Mainestreet once your account has been activated. Please continue to monitor the status of your application through the Self-Service Center in MaineStreet to ensure all supporting materials have been received. For more detailed instructions, read Activating UMaine Online Accounts.