Taxes for International Students
Filing your 2017 Tax Return
If you were present in the US for any part of 2017 you are required to file a tax form with the US Internal Revenue Service. ALL students are required to file a form even if no income is earned. Please read the information below carefully so that you can determine the correct action for your personal circumstances.
It’s easy! The Office of International Programs has arranged access to Sprintax Tax Preparation, (tax software) which will guide you through the tax preparation process and prepare the necessary documents for you. There is a small fee ($6) for the Federal tax forms. Additional fees apply for students who need to file a state return (most students do not need to file a state return).
To get started:
- Go to Sprintax.com and “Register” if you are a new user, or “Log in” if you have used Sprintax before.
- Enter all your personal information relating to your name, address, passport, dates of entry and departure. Once this information is entered one of the following will occur:
- Sprintax will determine that you are a NON-Resident for tax filing purposes and will allow you to continue using Sprintax to prepare your tax return.
- Sprintax will determine that you meet the substantial presence test and must file as a RESIDENT for tax purposes. You will NOT be able to use the Sprintax software to prepare your tax forms. Please see resources for filing a RESIDENT.
- Once you have entered ALL information into Sprintax the software will prepare your Federal tax form. If you have not already done so you can purchase a tax code from OIP at this link. Enter the code and the Sprintax fee of $35.95 will be removed from your bill.
- PRINT, SIGN and MAIL your documents once you complete the preparation process in Sprintax. Sprintax will provide very detailed instructions on how to properly file.
Students who have created their Sprintax account and determined that they are eligible to use the software may sign up for one of the free tax workshops held by OIP. If you are attending a workshop please make sure that you have created your Sprintax account, entered as much information as possible and purchased a tax code before attending a workshop.