Taxes for International Students
Filing your 2019 Federal Tax Return
If you were present in the U.S in 2019, you are legally obligated to complete tax forms by April 15, 2020. Yes, you really have to do this!
If you were not in the US in 2019, please ignore this message.
Who can use Sprintax
All non-residents should use Sprintax Tax Preparation (tax software) to prepare their Federal tax form. Using Sprintax for your State tax form (if applicable) is optional but we highly recommend it.
Federal tax form- $7 for Sprintax code, purchased through OIP
State tax form- $29.95- paid directly to Sprintax online
To get started:
- Go to Sprintax.com and “Log in” if you have used Sprintax before, or “Register” if you are a new user.
- Enter all your personal information:
Address: we recommend you use our office address as your US address: 300 Stodder Hall, Orono, ME 04469)
Dates of entry and departure (access these online at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov )
- a) If Sprintax determines you are a NON-Resident for tax filing purposes, continue and prepare your federal tax form.
b) If Sprintax determines you meet the substantial presence test and eligible to file as a RESIDENT for tax purposes. You will NOT be able to use Sprintax to prepare your tax forms if this is the case. Follow instructions provided by Sprintax to file as a RESIDENT.
Documents you will need to file your tax form:
- W-2 forms from ALL places of US employment. You can download your UMaine W-2 under “employee self-service” in MaineStreet.
- 1042-S- ONLY IF YOU HAD A TAXABLE SCHOLARSHIP OR TAX TREATY. UMaine has not yet issued 1042Ss (as of February 10). OIP will inform you when it is ready.
- YOU DO NOT NEED 1098-T and/or 1095-C, you can ignore those forms as they don’t apply to non-residents.
- Students who do not have a US social security number or Tax ID (ITIN) and who need to apply for an ITIN must attend a workshop for assistance. Do not apply for the ITIN on your own.
Preparing and Mailing Your Tax Form
Once you have entered ALL information into Sprintax the software will prepare your Federal tax form. CHECK YOUR DATA FOR ACCURACY.
OIP Workshops- OIP will help you finalize and mail your forms, sign up for a workshop below. Do not enter the tax code yet, stop when you see “Let’s review your order”. Sign up for a tax workshop
If filing without OIP-
PRINT, SIGN, attach necessary supporting documents (W-2, 1042-S, etc.) and MAIL your documents according to instructions provided by Sprintax. Sprintax will provide very detailed instructions on how to submit your forms. Make sure you follow instructions carefully.
If you have questions you can use the Sprintax chat function. Please do not email OIP.
Paying for your tax return
- To pay for your Federal return enter your Sprintax code at the end and it will remove the charge for the Federal form from your bill. If you are attending a workshop, do not enter the code yet.
- Enter credit card information for State return OR “remove” if you choose to prepare it on your own.
Refunds and Tax Payments
If you are owed a refund, we highly recommend direct deposit in your US bank account, or have the refund check sent to our address (300 Stodder Hall).
Students who do not have a US social security number or Tax ID (ITIN) and who need to apply for an ITIN must attend a workshop for assistance. Do not file for the ITIN on your own.