Sponsoring a Visiting Professor or Researcher
There is a $100 processing fee for all J-1 Scholar applications.
The fee will help offset the cost for OIP to maintain UMaine’s certification for the EV program with the Department of State. The fee will apply to visitors in all categories supported by UMaine’s J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (Professor, Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, Specialist, Student, Student Intern) with the exception of full-time students who are either degree-seeking or participate in an exchange program through one of our partner universities.
Overview of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Category:
The primary purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is to foster the exchange of ideas between Americans and foreign nationals and to stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts. The J-1 visa is the easiest and quickest visa to get, but it has certain limitations which must be considered when bringing foreign faculty members and researchers to the University. Please contact the Office of International Programs if you have a question about whether the J-1 visa is appropriate for your visitor.
The faculty host sponsoring the visitor plays an important role in our J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. The host is generally responsible for the following:
- Initiating all paperwork to request the J-1 visa (see link below)
- Coordinating housing for the visitor
- Arranging arrival details such as airport pick-up and scheduling check-in meeting with OIP. Please be sure to make an appointment.
- Providing office or work space in an area that is within close proximity to other regular staff within your department.
- Providing oversight of academic work conducted by the visitor and scheduling regular check-in meetings.
- Assisting the visitor to integrate into the department and wider campus community and providing access to cross-cultural activities on campus or within the community.
- Notifying the Office of International Programs if the visitor is no longer conducting the academic activities outlined in the agreed upon program.
Important Information About Arrival and Check-in :
Entry Requirements & Check-in:
Your J-1 Exchange Visitor must enter the US within 30 days of the start date of the DS2019. Once the Exchange Visitor arrives he or she will need to make an appointment with the Assistant Director of International Student and Scholar Services for a mandatory check-in. Please call 207-581-2905 to make the appointment.
If your J-1 Exchange Visitor is not receiving funds from the University of Maine you may wish to complete a Person of Interest form with the Office of Human Resources. This will allow the visitor to be coded in MaineStreet, giving him or her greater access to University of Maine academic resources. You can download the Person of Interest Form here but it must be returned to Payroll via fax at 561-3456.
The Department of State mandates that all J-1 Exchange Visitors have health insurance coverage that meets certain standards. Please discuss this with your potential visitor so that he or she is aware of this requirement. The minimum coverage limits are: $100,000 basic medical benefit per accident or illness, $25,00 for repatriation of remains, $50,000 for emergency medical evacuation to the home country. Deductible per accident or illness should not exceed $500. Con-insurance provisions will be permitted requiring exchange visitors to pay up to 25% of covered benefits per accident or illness.