Supporting International Students

A connection with a faculty member is often the key to an international student’s success.  Also, faculty members  have regular contact with our students and may be the first to detect an issue or problem that an international student is experiencing.  

The Office of International Programs staff members are always happy to discuss a particular student issue, give general advice on working with international students or to help problem solve.  Please do not hesitate to contact OIP if you have any questions or concerns about our students.

Sponsoring Visiting Professors or Researchers

In most cases visiting professors and researchers will need a visa to enter the US and to legally conduct academic work on our campus.  Click here to learn more about the responsibilities of a faculty host and to request the necessary visa paperwork for the incoming visitor.  

For Post-doctoral candidates please contact the Office of International Programs at 581-3437 to discuss the most appropriate visa category.

Hiring Foreign Nationals

If you have selected a foreign national as the finalist in your search for a regular part-time or full-time position the incoming employee will need to obtain work authorization before beginning employment.  Click here for information and application procedures for H1b, TN, and O-1 visas.

For Post-doctoral candidates please contact the Office of International Programs at 581-3437 to discuss the most appropriate visa category.


Immigration and Visas for Faculty & Staff 

Scholars taking part in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (except Canadians) must appear before a United States Consulate or Embassy in order to secure a J-1 visa. The following items must be presented at the interview: Form DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility issued by the University of Maine), a valid passport, and proof of marriage is necessary in order to obtain a visa for the dependent spouse. Scholars are encouraged to apply for a visa as early as possible.

A SEVIS fee is required of all new J-1 Exchange Visitors and must be paid prior to obtaining a J-1 visa. Please see the Web links below for further information about Visas and the SEVIS Fee.

Scholars with J-1 status who are transferring from an educational institution in the United States should consult with the exchange visitor program sponsor at their present institution for instructions on the Immigration Service’s transfer process. This should be done as early as possible.

Web Links for Further Information about Visas and SEVIS Fee

Arrival for Faculty & Staff

J-1 Scholars must arrive at the University of Maine and check in with the International Student and Scholar Advisor no later than 30 days from the program start date on the DS-2019. Failure to check in may result in cancellation of the program in SEVIS. The incoming scholar or his/her advisor should make an appointment at OIP for this meeting. The check in process takes about 30 minutes, and the Scholar should bring his/her passport, DS-2019 and I-94 entry card and the same for dependent family members traveling with him or her. Scholars or department staff can make an appointment with the Student/Scholar Advisor by calling (207) 581-3423.

If a Scholar is unable to enter the U.S. within 30 days of the program start date, he or she should contact OIP as soon as possible so that a new DS-2019 form with a deferred start date can be issued and mailed in time for travel.

Need help?

Feel free to contact the Office of International Programs to discuss the best option for hiring a foreign national. Call us at 207-581-3437 or email Sarah Joughin at