Frequently Asked Questions

See UMaine’s Coronavirus FAQ here.

Looking for information on DTAV and Patch? Find those questions and answers here.

Who is eligible for on-campus housing?

  • Undergraduate students at least 17 years of age, matriculated in a degree program, and enrolled for a minimum of nine credit hours during the current semester
  • Undergraduate students enrolled in fewer than nine credit hours may be eligible for an academic exception or disability accommodation. Contact Housing Services for further information.
  • Graduate students enrolled in University of Maine coursework 

When can I move in for the fall 2020 semester?

  • New incoming student move-in day is Friday, August 28, 2020.
  • Returning student move-in day is Sunday, August 30, 2020

Room assignments for incoming first year and transfer students for the fall of 2020  will be available beginning July 1, 2020. Classes begin on Monday, August 31, 2020.
Back to top of page

Can I choose my roommate?

Yes! Roommate requests are guaranteed as long as both students have confirmed admission and submitted a housing application with requested roommate
by May 1. If you are requesting a roommate after you have submitted your housing application, please contact us with the name of your requested roommate.
Back to top of page

How are room assignments made?

First-year students:

  • First-year students are assigned by major to First Year Experience halls (FYE)
  • If you want to select your roommate, both students must list each other as their roommate choice
    • Mutual roommate requests will be accommodated as long as:
      • Space is available
      • Both students have applied for housing and confirmed admission by May 1
  • Living Learning Communities:
    • Select up to 3 preferences – note: these are not in rank order. You may be assigned to any one of your preferences
    • Apply for housing and confirm admission by May 1
  • Honors Housing:
    • Accept the Honors College invitation
    • Apply for housing and confirm admission as soon as possible
      • Honors housing is limited and is not guaranteed

Incoming transfer students:

  • If you’d like, request the Transfer Living Community (fourth floor of York Hall) – Space is limited.
  • First year transfer students will be assigned to first year housing
  • Upperclass transfer students will be assigned to the appropriate upperclass housing

Returning students:

  • Assignments made based on space availability to upperclass halls with preference from your application
    • Hall preference follows first-received, first-assigned basis

Of note:

  • Requests received after May 1 are not guaranteed
  • UMaine is a tobacco-free campus
  • All halls are coed by floor or section
    • Individual rooms are not coed

Assignments are only made once admission has been confirmed.
Back to top of page

Where are Transfer students assigned?

Transfer students will be assigned in either first year or upperclass housing, depending on class standing and space availability. Transfer students may request the Transfer Living Community, located in York Hall. 
Back to top of page

Is housing guaranteed?

First-year students and transfer students transferring in as first-year students:

  • If you are applying for the fall semester, we will offer housing as long as space is available 
  • Priority is given to new and transfer students with confirmed admission and a housing application on file by May 1

Incoming transfer students who are transferring in as upperclass students: See “Where are Transfer students assigned?”
Back to top of page

Which halls are designated as First Year Experience residence halls as of Fall 2020?

  • Androscoggin
  • Aroostook
    • First and second floors: Substance Free housing – all years
    • Third and fourth floors: Prism+ Community – all years
  • Cumberland
  • Gannett
  • Knox
  • Oxford
  • Somerset
  • Kennebec
    • Third and fourth floors: Outdoor Adventure – all years
  • Balentine: Honors – all years
  • Colvin: Honors – all years
  • Penobscot: Honors – all years
  • York: First floor
    Back to top of page

How do I change my meal plan?

Students may change their meal plans once during the first six weeks of each semester. Please visit Dining Services to select a meal plan. If you need modification to your meal plan for dietary reasons, contact Dining Services directly. 
Back to top of page

What should I bring to campus?

Take a look at our list of what to bring to campus
Back to top of page

What are the dimensions of my room?

Rooms in many of our residence halls are different. We’re working on adding dimensions of all of our halls
Back to top of page

What size are the beds on campus? What if I’m 6’5″ or taller?

All standard beds at UMaine are 80″ long (Twin XL sheet size). Students who are 6’5″ or taller may request an extra long (84″) bed through myHousing.
Back to top of page 

Can I loft my bed?

You sure can! Loft requests are made after your room has been assigned. Request your loft online prior to arrival on campus. There are four options for bed setups available – standard height, mid-height, high loft, and bunked. All rooms will have the standard setup unless you request another. 
High loft requests will be approved according to the room configuration, and are not guaranteed.

Back to top of page

Do I need property insurance to protect my belongings at UMaine?

Yes. The University of Maine does not provide insurance for personal possessions. All residents are strongly encouraged to have their own property insurance or coverage under their family’s homeowner policy.
If your personal belongings (laptop, phone, etc.) are not covered under your family’s homeowner policy while you are enrolled, please be aware that comprehensive, low-cost Property Insurance designed specifically for college students is available from CSI College Student Insurance. Students have access to important insurance information via pdf. Information for what parents should know about their students’ insurance has also been made available.
Back to top of page

Can I switch rooms or roommates?

We are unable to guarantee requests for hall, room, or roommate changes prior to the start of the semester. There is at least a two-week Room Freeze at the start of each semester. After Room Freeze ends, students may request a room change. Please contact your Community Coordinator to request a room change.
If you have a MicroChill Combo through College Products and are changing rooms, contact College Products at 712-226-3250. 
Back to top of page

If my roommate moves out, do I get the room to myself?

This option is only available when all requests for campus housing have been accommodated. Students without roommates who wish to guarantee they will not be assigned one must pay a higher room rate (see next FAQ). 
Back to top of page

Are single rooms available?

Students with a documented medical need for a single room assignment are given priority for available single rooms. Once these students have been accommodated and after the Room Freeze, students wishing to live in a single room may request a room change through their Community Coordinator.

Room rates are higher for single room occupancy.

Do the residence halls close during University breaks?

COVID-19 UPDATE: See UMaine’s Coronavirus FAQ here.

All residence halls are open for October Break and Thanksgiving Break for 2020–2021.
Continuous housing halls are open for all breaks, including winter and spring breaks. These include:

  • Kennebec
  • Knox
  • York
  • DTAV
  • Patch

Winter Break 2020

  • All other halls will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, December 18, 2020 for Winter Break. They will reopen on Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 10 a.m.

Spring Break 2021

  • Residence halls that are not continuous housing will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 12, 2021. They will reopen on Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10 a.m.

Spring Break 2020

  • Residence halls that are not continuous housing will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 13, 2020. They will reopen on Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 10 a.m.
    Back to top of page 

Can I cancel my room assignment before moving in, or move out of my residence hall prior to the end of the academic year?

Returning students who cancel their room assignment after February 24 and prior to August 28 are subject to a room cancellation fee. If a student moves out of the residence hall after opening, the student account account will be charged at the per diem rate for room and board, a room cancellation fee of $500.00, and additional fees for board. For more information, visit Room and Board Cancellation Fees.
The Undergraduate Room and Board License and Graduate Room and Board License are for the entire academic year, or the remainder of the academic year if assigned after opening in the fall or spring semesters. 
Back to top of page

Can I have a car on campus?

Yes, students may have cars on campus, although a car is not necessary.

  • A parking decal is required for all cars on campus.
  • Decals are available at the Parking Office at the DTAV Community Center.
  • All lots are designated either for residents, commuters, and faculty/staff.
  • Parking is not available for all decals in all lots.
  • The Community Connector is free with your MaineCard and offers service between Orono, Old Town, Brewer, Bangor, and Hampden.
  • Black Bear Orono Express provides free transportation from campus to downtown Orono. 
    Back to top of page

Should I bring my bicycle to campus?

Definitely! There are some great bike paths on campus grounds. Make sure that you do the following:

Are there banking services on campus?

Yes, there is a full-service Credit Union with a 24-hour ATM on the north side of campus, and an additional ATM in the Memorial Union. You may want to check with your financial institution to see if they participate in shared branching, have surcharge-free ATM policies, or have a branch in the Orono area. 
Back to top of page

What is my mailing address?

The following building codes are used for sorting mail directly from the regional distribution center prior to being delivered to each residence hall:

  • 5702 – DTAV/Patch Village
  • 5704 – Androscoggin Hall
  • 5705 – Aroostook Hall
  • 5707 – Balentine Hall
  • 5716 – Colvin Hall
  • 5720 – Cumberland Hall
  • 5727 – Estabrooke Hall
  • 5730 – Gannett Hall
  • 5731 – Hancock Hall
  • 5733 – Hart Hall
  • 5738 – Kennebec Hall
  • 5739 – Knox Hall
  • 5756 – Oak Hall
  • 5758 – Oxford Hall
  • 5759 – Penobscot Hall
  • 5767 – Somerset Hall
  • 5775 – Stodder Hall
  • 5783 – York Hall

Use the following format to send mail to residence hall students:

Jane or John Student
57XX Student Hall, Rm #
Orono, ME 04469-57XX

Package Pickup for Resident Students

All packages mailed to resident students by the USPS or shipped by a private carrier (ex. FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) will be picked up at the Package & Postal Center, the US Postal Substation at the Memorial Union. Students will receive an email on their account to pick up their package once it has been processed. The student will need their MaineCard ID or driver’s license to receive their package at the Package & Postal Center.

To ensure faster delivery, include the 4-digit zip code extension on all mail.
Back to top of page