Info for Students’ Families

Exchanging Information About Your Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act sets limits on the information that we can provide to parents or families of a student without express consent from the student.

However, we recognize that parents and families often have the best insight into the actions and needs of their student.  Information that will help us to better support your student is always welcome.

Information About Moving In

All information about first-year and transfer move-in can be found here!

Policy Information to Assure a Safe Living Environment

  • Guide to Campus Living
  • Student Handbook (includes the Code of Conduct)
  • Alleged violations of Residents Manual or Student Handbook policy can result in a Judicial Referral to the Office of Community Standards, Rights and Responsibilities (OCSRR).
  • Together, Residence Life and OCSSR may refer a student for a Housing Contract Review following certain policy violations.  Additionally, staff reserve the right to move a student to a different hall if his or her behavior is having a significant impact on others living in that same community.  In the event that a student’s behavior compromises the safety of the community or other students, there is also the option to void the student’s housing agreement, thereby removing the student from the residential community.
  • Campus Security Report provides information about the numbers of certain crimes collected through all University agencies, and in some cases include crimes reported to the Orono and Old Town Police departments as required by the Jeanne Cleary Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistic Act of 1998.
  • Federal law, through the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, permits educational institutions to disclose, to parents or legal guardians, information regarding a student’s violation of laws or policies of alcohol or controlled substances. Accordingly, the Parental Notification Policy is to notify parents or guardians of students under the age of 21 when the student has been found responsible for any second drug or alcohol related offense.

Reaching Other Offices

  • The University Telephone Operator can be reached at 207-581-1110. After hours, voice-recognition software is available to assist you in reaching or leaving a voice mail with staff. Student phone numbers are also available through this service, although room numbers are not (thus you will need to know your student’s room number in order to get their room telephone number).

If you have questions about:

  • issues between roommates (during the school year)
  • residence hall policies
  • changing rooms
  • specific residence halls, programs or residence hall activities

Contact Residence Life at 207-581-4801 or visit their website.

If you have questions about:

  • applying to live on-campus
  • housing fees, including housing cancellation fees
  • new student assignments or any questions about assignments
  • roommate concerns (before the school year starts)

Contact Housing Services at 207-581-4580 or or visit their website.

If you have questions about:

  • purchasing or changing meal plans
  • dining facilities
  • dining facility hours during breaks
  • nutrition information
  • dining options for students with allergies or for students who choose to be vegan or vegetarian

Contact Dining Services at 207-581-DINE or visit their website.

If you have questions about:

  • whether the concerns that you are hearing from your student are minor or major
  • referring a student in need or crisis
  • helpful seminars for students or parents
  • medication management services for students

Contact the Counseling Center at 207-581-1392 or visit their website.

If you have questions about:

  • University of Maine Police officers, who oftentimes work in the residence halls
  • other campus safety concerns
  • any immediate concern for the safety, health or other well-being of any campus student

Contact the University of Maine Police Department at 207-581-4040 or visit their website.