The University of Maine Humanities Initiative, established in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences in 2010, advances teaching, research, and public knowledge of the humanities. The critical and analytical thinking developed through exposure to the arts and humanities are key to the economic, civic, and cultural vitality of Maine. A flourishing society requires citizens who are literate, ethical, historically informed, and socially aware. By developing and supporting programs that engage art, literature, history, philosophy, politics, and diverse cultures, the UMHI aims to enrich the lives of all Maine citizens.
The UMHI’s principal objectives are to:
- establish partnerships with arts and humanities institutions in Maine
- encourage collaborations between UMaine faculty and Maine’s K-12 teachers and students
- share UMaine’s unique resources with the people of Maine
- strengthen the humanities at the University by
- creating opportunities for students to engage in humanities education and research
- developing innovative programming
- supporting humanities scholarship and interdisciplinary collaborations
The UMHI is actively building an endowment to ensure that it can serve the people of Maine for years to come.
Dr. Justin Wolff, Director UMaine Humanities Initiative and Associate Professor of Art History (firstname.lastname@example.org; 207-581-3259)
Terri C. Beyer, Senior Development Officer for College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (email@example.com; 207-581-1149)
Dr. Liam Riordan, Professor of History, UMHI Advisory Board member, and Maine Humanities Council Board member (firstname.lastname@example.org; 207-581-1913)