Skip to main navigation
Skip to site navigation
Skip to content
At the Office
- Purchase energy efficient office equipment to reduce energy use and save on energy costs. ENERGY STAR certified products include:
- Computers: will use 30% to 65% less energy than a non-certified computer.
- Monitors: are 20% more efficient on average than standard options.
- Imaging equipment: are 40% more efficient than standard models. Multi-purpose equipment (ex. combined printer, scanner, and fax machine) are much more energy efficient than many separate machines.
Tips for Use:
- Use a power strip as a central “turn off” point to completely shut off the power supply to office equipment.
- Use the power management settings on your computer and monitor so they go into power save mode when not in use.
- Unplug personal chargers when not in use.
- Use double-sided printing to reduce waste and save energy.
Back to Top
Other Energy-Saving Tips
- Skip the disposable cups. Bring in an interesting mug and you’ll always know which coffee is yours. Encourage your colleagues to as well.
- Avoid using the elevator and take the stairs instead. This gives you some exercise while conserving energy.
- Keep air vents clear of paper, files, and office supplies. It takes as much as 25% more energy to pump air into the work space if the vents are blocked.
- Keep documents electronically rather than printed copies. Computer files instead of paper files mean easier searches, organization, and a less cluttered workspace.
Back to Top