Interested in sustainability at UMaine? From student clubs to courses and events, there are plenty of ways to make a difference.
Student Clubs and Initiatives
- Terrell House Permaculture Living & Learning Center is a sustainability-focused intentional community that is home to educational events and a community garden.
- UMaine Green Team is an organization working to increase awareness, create action, and take action with regard to efficiency and sustainability on campus and in the community.
- Green Campus Initiative hires students to help educate other students about sustainability-related initiatives that pertain to campus housing, dining facilities, and other Auxiliary Services operations.
- Black Bear Food Guild runs an organic vegetable farm that provides hands-on sustainable farming experiences for students.
- UMaine Greens is a student group that grows organic greens for the UMaine campus.
- Black Bear Exchange is a food pantry and clothing exchange right on campus.
Education and Research Opportunities
- Sustainability-focused courses can be found in almost every department.
- Senator George J. Mitchell Center for Sustainability Solutions is a leading research center working to find solutions to urgent sustainability challenges.
- Sustainability Grants are available for Staff-, Faculty-, and Student-led projects that improve the environmental sustainability of campus facilities and operations in creative and cost-effective ways.
Other ways to get involved
- The local community supports tons of projects focused on sustainability in Orono, Maine, and beyond.