J-1 Applicant Information
We are pleased that you have been invited to the University of Maine! In order to issue the necessary documents for your J-1 visa interview at a US Consulate we need to collect some information. Please complete the Exchange Visitor Applicant Form and upload the required documents to the web portal so that we can issue a DS2019 form for you and your accompanying dependents (if applicable) as soon as possible. It is important to read all information and upload all documents in the portal link found at the bottom of this page. Please do NOT email documents.
At the end of the Exchange Visitor Applicant Form you will be asked to submit information that will help us to issue your DS2019 form(s). You will be asked to upload copies of the following documents:
- Your passport
- Documentation of your finances (see below for more information)
- If you have previously been in J-1 status, copies of all previous DS2019s
- If you are bringing dependents (spouse or child), copy of “Dependent Information Form” (see below), and copy of passport for each dependent.
Documentation of Finances During Your Visit
Please note that every J-1 Exchange Visitor must document financial means during the entire period of your program
- $1500/month for the J-1 Exchange Visitor
- $450/month for a J-2 spouse
- $150/month for each J-2 child
If you will receive a salary, stipend or other financial award from the University of Maine your faculty host will submit the information to our office.
If you receive only partial or no funding from the University of Maine you need to provide financial documentation for the difference. You will be given the opportunity to upload copies of financial documents at the end of the form.
All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their dependents present in the US are required to have health insurance with the coverage levels listed below. Please be sure to indicate on the form what your plan is for obtaining health insurance coverage.
- Medical benefit of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Co-insurance provisions will be permitted requiring exchange visitors to pay up to 25% of covered benefits per accident or illness
- $50,000 to cover expenses associates with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors (or dependents)
- $25,000 for the repatriation of remains
- Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
If you have questions during the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-581-2905.
Bringing Family Members with You to the U.S.
If you plan to bring dependents (spouse or children) to the U.S. with you or if they plan to join you at any time during your program we will need to issue additional immigration paperwork so that they can obtain J-2 visas. Please complete the J-2 Dependent Information form found in Limited Services at the link below.
To continue the application process, please click here to sign into the online portal. Select “New Student/Scholar Login ” and sign in using the information (University ID, Date of Birth and PIN) from the email that you received from email@example.com with the link to this page.