For admissions requirements, go here.
Your application must consist of the following:
- Cover Letter. Send a brief cover letter in pdf format of no more than one page indicating your intent to apply to our program, intended semester of matriculation, your permanent address, contact information, country of citizenship, and anything else you wish to tell us that is not included in your essay (see below).
- Brief essay (300-500 words) describing your academic background and objectives. (Why are you applying to the program, and what do you hope to get out of it?)
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent directly to us by the letter writers via the email address below (or regular mail if necessary).
- A writing sample. Please provide a scan of one of your returned graded written proof-based assignments from an upper level math class. We would like to get a feel for your mathematical writing style.
GRE scores. We are currently waiving the GRE. (We do not require the math subject GRE. Please include a scan (unofficial is fine) of your GRE scores with your application. If you decide to come, then you will be required to have your scores sent officially to UMaine from ETS.)
- TOEFL scores (for non-native speakers). Same guidelines apply as for GRE scores. The Graduate School requires a minimum score of 80 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. To qualify for a Teaching Assistantship, applicants must have achieved a 92 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. In some circumstances, TOEFL scores may be waived if the applicant has attended an American college or university for at least four years or has previously earned a graduate degree from a U.S. institution of higher education. IELTS scores are also accepted on a case by case basis. Generally, an overall IELTS score of 6.5 is required for admission, and a score of 7.0 is required for a Teaching Assistantship.
- Academic transcripts. Please send your transcripts from undergraduate degree programs and (if desired) any prior graduate work taken. Unofficial copies are fine, but if you accept a conditional offer, you will need to send your official transcript to the graduate school.
Please arrange for the above items to be sent in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no cost to apply using the above method. However, if you are given a verbal offer and you intend to come, then you must formally apply through the UMaine Graduate School’s application page with fee. (The fee is waived for UMaine alumni.)
All applicants are automatically considered for Teaching Assistantships.
The application deadline is January 20, though late applications will likely receive full consideration. Initial decisions will be made in late February or March. Questions should be directed to the Graduate Coordinator.