For admissions requirements, go here.
Your application must consist of the following:
- Completed Graduate school application form with brief essay (300-500 words) describing your objectives.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letter writers may use the recommendation form. Letters should be sent directly to us by the letter writers via the email address below (or regular mail if necessary).
- GRE scores. We do not require the math subject GRE. Please include a scan (unofficial is fine) of your GRE scores with your application. If you decide to come, then you will be required to have your scores sent officially to UMaine from ETS.
- TOEFL scores (for non-native speakers). Same guidelines apply as for GRE scores. The Graduate School requires a minimum score of 80 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. To qualify for a Teaching Assistantship, applicants must have achieved a 92 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. In some circumstances, TOEFL scores may be waived if the applicant has attended an American college or university for at least four years or has previously earned a graduate degree from a U.S. institution of higher education. IELTS scores are also accepted on a case by case basis. Generally, an overall IELTS score of 6.5 is required for admission, and a score of 7.0 is required for a Teaching Assistantship.
- Undergraduate transcripts. An unofficial copy is fine, but if you accept an offer, you will need to send your official transcript to the graduate school.
Please arrange for the above items to be sent in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, hard copies may be mailed to
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
5752 Neville Hall, Room 333
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5752
There is no cost to apply using the above method. However, if you are given a verbal offer and you intend to come, then you must formally apply through the UMaine Graduate School’s application page with fee.
All applicants are automatically considered for Teaching Assistantships.
The application deadline is January 20, though late applications will likely receive full consideration. Initial decisions will be made in late February or March. Questions should be directed to the Graduate Coordinator.