Immigration & Visas for Faculty & Staff

Scholars taking part in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (except Canadians) must appear before a United States Consulate or Embassy in order to secure a J-1 visa. The following items must be presented at the interview: Form DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility issued by the University of Maine), a valid passport, and proof of marriage is necessary in order to obtain a visa for the dependent spouse. Scholars are encouraged to apply for a visa as early as possible.

A SEVIS fee is required of all new J-1 Exchange Visitors and must be paid prior to obtaining a J-1 visa. Please see the Web links below for further information about Visas and the SEVIS Fee.

Scholars with J-1 status who are transferring from an educational institution in the United States should consult with the exchange visitor program sponsor at their present institution for instructions on the Immigration Service’s transfer process. This should be done as early as possible.

Web Links for Further Information about Visas and SEVIS Fee