BSW Electives Clusters in Fields of Practice

Preparation for the Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician/Community (MHRT/C)

By completing the BSW program requirements and taking the following two classes, you will be prepared to apply for the MHRT/C certification.
SWK 380-Biological Person in the Environment
SWK 498-Mental Health and Work

With these two classes, once you have graduated you will be eligible to apply for the MHRT/C.
You can find the guidelines here:

Having this certification prepares people to work with adults with serious mental illness in a number of capacities including community integration, assertive community treatment, skills development and family psycho-education. Settings include behavioral health homes, mental health psychosocial clubhouses, and day support services.

Preparation for the Certified Alcohol and Drug Counseling (CADC) License

Graduates of the BSW program are qualified to take the CADC exam. This added license will open many doors for jobs in the substance use disorder treatment field and demand is currently very high for licensed practitioners. For more information about this licensing visit the Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors’ website:

This is a difficult exam and you would be better prepared for the exam and to practice in the field of substance use disorders and treatment if you were to take any or all of the electives listed below. These courses are taught online through the University of Maine at Augusta (UMA) Mental Health and Human Services (MHHS) program. You would need to register for these courses through UMA and complete a domestic study away form: -2bc0-466c-84aa-4c65df480721?t=1605801833257

After completing your courses, you will need to have the transcript from UMA sent to the UM Office of Student Records ( to have the courses transferred in. If you
have questions about any of these courses, you may contact Dr. Wendy St. Pierre, who is the Academic Coordinator of the MHHS program at UMA (

HUS 125 Introduction to Substance Use Disorder
HUS 229 Models of Addiction (Prerequisite: Introduction to Psychology)
HUS 326 Counseling for Substance Use Disorder (Prerequisite: HUS 125)
HUS 332 Relational Systems that Support Substance Use Disorders (Prerequisite: HUS 125 and
Introduction to Psychology)HUS 335 Substance Use Disorder Counseling within Diverse Populations (Prerequisite: HUS
125 or permission from the instructor)
HUS 342 Substance Use Disorders and Trauma (Prerequisite: HUS 125)

Minor in Disability Studies

Disability studies is particularly relevant for social work students across the range of micro to macro systems, including clinical and mental health settings, school social work, integrated health care, human services, and policy practice. Of particular emphasis is fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility for the range of our clients and client groups.

Three courses comprise the minor curriculum. They can be taken as stand-alone or as part of the undergraduate minor in any sequence.
DIS 300- Disability: Interaction of Human Diversity and Global Environment
(This is an overview of disability theory, ethics, and responses.)
DIS 400-Disability as Diversity I (This course focuses on specific, contemporary issues in disability such as professional practice,
mental health, eugenics, technology development, augmentation, and popular culture.)
DIS 450-Disability: Population-Environment Diversity (This is a skills course in which progressive accessibility is studied and strategies to achieve it are learned.)

Focus on Child Welfare
Students in our BSW program who are interested in child welfare are eligible to apply for a senior field placement with the Field Instruction Unit (FIU) at the Department of Health and Human Services. You can learn more about the FIU here:
The FIU will prepare social work students for successful careers in public child welfare. The training will increase casework retention and effectiveness, thereby improving outcomes for children and families in Maine.

This placement includes a stipend and the training you need to be eligible for a Child Protective Services position on graduation. Some years there may be a child welfare elective offered either at UM or at another University of Maine campus.  Jennifer Scott ( will be able to tell you if such a class is available to take as an elective.