Memorial Union, Fogler Library Courtyard
Between front of Memorial Union and east entrance to Fogler Library, southeast of campus Mall
A courtyard links the Memorial Union, the hub of much student activity, and Fogler Library, the academic heart of the university. Look for thoughtfully planned walkways, low stone walls suitable for sitting, decorative fencing, a collection of woody and herbaceous plantings, and — at the northwest corner of the Union — a sculpture with accompanying semi-circular seating. Created by professor emerita of art Deborah de Moulpied, the sculpture, the Class of 1945 Memorial, honors those who “sacrificed so much” in World War II (see sculpture plaque).