Historic District Tour
In 1978, the National Register of Historic Places designated a University of Maine at Orono Historic District.
The historic district, framed by Munson, Sebec and Schoodic roads, includes 10 architecturally significant structures constructed from 1868 to 1913. The district represents the oldest section of campus of the land grant institution that opened Sept. 21, 1868, on the site of the former Frost and White farms. Frederick Law Olmsted, founder of American landscape architecture, conceived the original campus plan.
From 1868 to 1870, students built the first campus academic building — Fernald Hall, originally called Chemical Hall. Phi Kappa Phi, (Philosophìa Krateìto Photôn, “Let the love of learning rule humanity”), an honor society promoting academic excellence, was founded in 1897 in Fernald Hall.
The nine other buildings in the district are Alumni Hall, Carnegie Library, Coburn Hall, Holmes Hall, Lord Hall, the President’s House, Stock Judging Pavilion, The Maples and Winslow Hall.
Content by UMaine alumna Sara K. Martin, University of Maine Historic Master Plan