Summary of Marine Science Requirements
Minimum number of credits required to graduate: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA required to graduate: 2.0
Minimum Grade requirements for courses to count toward major: Marine Science Majors must have a 2.0 GPA overall in all required classes. Required classes include the core curriculum and upper-level electives.
Other GPA requirements to graduate: None.
Required Course(s) for fulfilling Capstone Experience: SMS 400 and SMS 404
Field Experience Requirement: All students must complete 42 hours of field experience (these hours are clock hours, not credit hours). This requirement can be met by our Semester-by-the-Sea program, field-based courses, internships and/or study-abroad programs. Contact the School of Marine Sciences for details.
Requirements of the Marine Science Major
- Satisfy university-wide general education requirements
- Earn at least 120 credits
- College: NFA 117 (marine emphasis)
- Biology: BIO 100, BMB 280
- Chemistry: CHY 121/122, 123/124
- Mathematics: MAT 126 and MAT 232
- Physics: PHY 111, 112, or PHY 121, 122
- Earth Science: SMS 108 or ERS 101 or ERS 102 or ERS 109
- Marine Policy: SMS 230
- Core SMS marine science courses: SMS 100, SMS 201, SMS 203, SMS 204, SMS 302, SMS 303, SMS 304, SMS 402, plus 15 credits of Marine Science electives at the 300+ level.
- SMS 404 (Senior Capstone seminar) in the junior year (1 credit).
- Senior Capstone Experience: SMS 400 taken either or both semesters of the senior year (3 credits).
Contact Information: William Ellis, Associate Professor of Oceanography and Associate Director, 360 Aubert Hall, 207-581-4360, email@example.com