Arrival for International Students – Fall 2024
We look forward to your arrival and to helping you get acquainted with the University of Maine campus and U.S. culture through our New International Student Orientation program and other activities.
When to Arrive
Fall 2024 ARRIVAL DATE
- Your travel and arrival plans must be carefully coordinated with OIP move-in procedures.
- It is very important that you provide information about your travel and arrival plans by completing the arrival information form below. Please resubmit the form if your travel plans change.
What if I arrive earlier than August 27, 2024?
Unfortunately we cannot accommodate students in campus housing prior to August 27, 2024 (Stodder Hall residents may be able to arrive earlier with prior arrangements). If you plan to live on campus and you arrive before August 27, you will need to reserve a hotel room at your own expense. If you are living off campus make sure your landlord and/or housemates know that you are coming early and have your room ready for you.
Students living off campus: Plan to arrive no later than August 27, be sure to arrange your arrival day with your landlord.
Arrival Form & Important Information
- Fall 2024 Arrival Information Form You must complete this form now and anytime your arrival plan changes. This information will help OIP assist you with the arrival and move-in process. Please note, requests for a pick-up service must be received no later than 48 hours prior to arrival. We cannot guarantee a pick up if your request is submitted fewer than 48 hours of arrival.
Bangor Airport/Hotel/Bus Pick-Ups on Tuesday, January 9, between 8 am and 9 pm, local EST time:
- Submit the Arrival Information Form (above) in order to be picked up from Bangor International airport, bus station or local hotel.
- OIP will meet you at your designated arrival location in Bangor and you will be transported to campus or your off campus accommodation (be sure to arrange with your landlord for your arrival that day). There will be no cost to you for this service.
- Orono is served by Bangor International Airport (BGR), which is only 12 miles from campus.
- Two bus lines also provide transportation to Bangor: Greyhound and Concord Coach Lines.
- From your arrival date on August 27, students will be able to eat on campus – specific location to be determined. Some meals will be provided/covered by OIP.
- The Fall dining meal plan will start on August 30. See the Dining schedule. Information on Dining for International students.
- Eat at your place or residence or at available locations on campus.
- See a list of local places to order food delivery from. Confirm how you can pay for your food delivery with a credit card or cash.
- A mandatory Orientation program at the beginning of each semester helps students adjust to life on campus and in the community.
- Visit our Orientation page for more information. Some of the content will be delivered in person, some virtually.
Buying Room Essentials
- On campus residents will have a set of bed linens and towels on loan. You must return these items to your Resident Assistant during the first week of classes.
- OIP is planning a shopping trip during orientation when you can by items for your room and other necessities.
- If living off campus, consider having items delivered to your residence in advance. Make sure your housemates are aware of potential deliveries.
Textbooks – Information for Fall 2024
- Contact information:
- Email is best (and fastest): email@example.com
- Call: 207.581.1763
- Follow us on social: Facebook @umainebookstore; Instagram @umbookstore
- Campus location: Memorial Union, lower level
- Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.; Closed weekends
- Website has a great search function! Type in one or two words (e.g. Used books) and hit enter.
- Textbook reservations:
- Only first-year students may reserve books
- Being taken now through July 31 at bookstore.umaine.edu (click on the textbook reservation button) and make sure to put your hoodie size in the comments section
- We’ve also made a video about textbook reservation available on Facebook and Instagram: www.facebook.com/watch/?v=264338064894921
- Books will be pulled once class schedules are finalized in early August. Payment will be processed at this time.
- Only required books will be pulled in the style requested (eg. new, used)
- Reservations will be delivered to students on campus at their res hall; for off campus students participating in reservations, choose pick up. If you would like your books mailed to you, please contact the Bookstore to get further details
- If books are not needed, they may be returned at the start of the semester. For new books, do not open any wrapping if you MIGHT return.
- Check out this video from a virtual orientation session about the Bookstore (Timestamp: 01:36 – 08:16)
- The MaineCard is your official UMaine ID card.. All new students should respond to the email request from the MaineCard office (sent to your @maine.edu email account) as soon as possible and upload their photo to the portal. Students must be registered for at least one class to be eligible for the MaineCard. Read more about this process here.
- On campus residents – it is important you complete this step prior to your arrival so you can access your building.
- Read about how to use your MaineCard