Arrival for International Students – Fall 2022
We look forward to your arrival and to helping you get acquainted with the University of Maine campus and U.S. culture through our New International Student Orientation program and other activities.
Your arrival and move-in process will look a bit different due to Covid-19 but we are here to help you navigate the process.
You must be fully vaccinated prior to arrival at the University of Maine. You are considered FULLY VACCINATED if you have received all doses of the FDA approved vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) and WHO approved vaccines (Oxford/AstraZeneca, Serum Institute of India, Sinopharm, and Sinovac).
Upload a copy of your vaccination card prior to your arrival on our secure portal.
When to Arrive
Fall 2022 ARRIVAL DATES
- Your travel and arrival plans must be carefully coordinated with OIP move-in procedures.
- It may be difficult to get a hotel due to COVID-19 restrictions so please let us help you.
- It is very important that you provide information about your travel and arrival plans by completing the arrival information form below. Please resubmit the form every time you update your travel plan.
What if I arrive earlier than August 23, 2022?
Unfortunately we cannot accommodate students in campus housing prior to August 23, 2022. If you plan to live on campus you will need to reserve a hotel room at your own expense. If you are living off campus make sure your landlord and/or housemates know that you are coming early and have your room ready for you.
Students living off campus: Plan to arrive on August 23, or earlier if arranged with your landlord.
Arrival Form & Important Information
- Fall 2022 Arrival Information Form You must complete this form now and again every time you update your plan. This information will help OIP assist you with the arrival and move-in process. Please note, requests for a pick-up service must be received no later than 48 hours prior to arrival. We cannot guarantee a pick up if your request is submitted fewer than 48 hours of arrival.
Airport/Hotel/Bus Pick-Ups on Tuesday, August 23, between 8 am and 9 pm, local EST time.
- OIP will meet you at your designated arrival location in Bangor and you will be transported to campus. There will be no cost to you for this service.
- Submit the Arrival Information Form in order to be picked up from Bangor International airport, bus station or local hotel.
- Orono is served by Bangor International Airport (BIA), which is only 12 miles from campus.
- Two bus lines also provide transportation to Bangor: Greyhound and Concord Coach Lines.
- From your arrival date on August 23, students will be able to eat on campus – specific location to be determined. Your meals will be paid for by OIP.
- The Fall dining meal plan will start on August 29. See the Dining schedule. Information on Dining for International students.
- Eat at your place or residence or at available locations on campus.
- See a list of local places to order food delivery from. Confirm how you can pay for your food delivery with a credit card or cash.
- A mandatory Orientation program at the beginning of each semester helps students adjust to life on campus and in the community.
- Visit our Orientation page for more information. Some of the content will be pre-recorded and some will be delivered in a live and/or virtual format.
Buying Room Essentials
- On campus residents will have a set of bed linens and towels on loan. You must return these items to your Resident Assistant during the first week of classes.
- OIP is planning a shopping trip during orientation when you can by items for your room and other necessities.
- If living off campus, consider having items delivered to your residence in advance. Make sure your housemates are aware of potential deliveries.
Textbooks – Information for Fall 2022
- Contact information:
- Email is best (and fastest): email@example.com
- Call: 207.581.1763
- Follow us on social: Facebook @umainebookstore; Instagram @umbookstore
- Campus location: Memorial Union, lower level
- Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.; Closed weekends
- In-person appointments are available by appointment only.
- Website has a great search function! Type in one or two words (e.g. Used books) and hit enter.
- Textbook reservations:
- Only first-year students may reserve books
- Being taken now through July 31 at bookstore.umaine.edu (click on the textbook reservation button) and make sure to put your hoodie size in the comments section
- We’ve also made a video about textbook reservation available on Facebook and Instagram: www.facebook.com/watch/?v=264338064894921
- Books will be pulled once class schedules are finalized in early August. Payment will be processed at this time.
- Only required books will be pulled in the style requested (eg. new, used)
- Reservations will be delivered to students on campus at their res hall; for off campus students participating in reservations, choose pick up. If you would like your books mailed to you, please contact the Bookstore to get further details
- If books are not needed, they may be returned at the start of the semester. For new books, do not open any wrapping if you MIGHT return.
- Check out this video from a virtual orientation session about the Bookstore (Timestamp: 01:36 – 08:16)
- The MaineCard is your official photo student identification card (ID card). Read about how to use your MaineCard. All new students should respond to the email request from the MaineCard office to upload their photo to the portal, to complete their MaineCard application. Students must be registered for at least one class to be eligible for the MaineCard.
- On campus residents – your MaineCard will be ready for pick up when you arrive at your residence hall.
- Off-campus students – go to the MaineCard office at 103L Hilltop. Submit your photo in advance to avoid waiting in line.