Arrival for International Students
We look forward to your arrival and to helping you to get acquainted with the University of Maine campus and U.S. culture through our New International Student Orientation program and other activities. Visit the links in this section for important and helpful information. Be sure to click the appropriate post-arrival check list below for a quick guide. Get excited!
Fall 2020 Semester
- Arrival Information Form– You must complete this form if you wish to move in before August 28, or if you want to request a pick up at the airport, bus station or hotel on August 25, 2020.
- Entering the U.S.
- Campus Map
- Activate Your UMaine Online Accounts
- Apply for Housing
- Pre-departure Information
When to Arrive
Fall 2020 Arrival Information:
Students should plan to arrive in Orono no later than Tuesday, August 25, 2020. Students who plan to live on campus should plan to arrive no earlier than Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
Airport/Hotel/Bus Pick-Ups, August 25, 2020 only
- Available on August 25, 2020 only, from 8 am to 9 pm.
- Submit the Arrival Information Form in order to be picked up from Bangor International airport, bus station or local hotel.
- Students arriving before or after August 25 will need to use a taxi service for transportation to the campus area at a cost of approximately $25-30 (USD). Uber and Lyft are also available.
- Orono is served by Bangor International Airport (BIA), which is only 12 miles from campus.
- Two bus lines also provide transportation to Bangor: Greyhound and Concord Coach Lines.
Residence Halls and Dining Plan
- The contract is effective Friday, August 28 when official move-in begins at 8:00 a.m.
- Early move-in (August 25-27) must be arranged through our office (complete Arrival Form). Be sure to submit your arrival details at least one day ahead of your arrival. Fall semester arrivals will be charged about $27 daily prior to the start of the contract. There is no early arrival fee for Spring early arrivals.
- Residence halls do not provide sheets or blankets. You can bring your own, or purchase some when we go shopping Wednesday afternoon.
- Students who arrive earlier than August 25 or have accompanying guests may stay at a Local hotel or motel.
- A mandatory Orientation program at the beginning of each semester helps students adjust to life on campus and in the community. Those who arrive early for Summer Session should visit the Office of International Programs for individualized advising and useful information that will familiarize them with the University and community.