The University of Maine welcomes international faculty and staff. The Office of International Programs at the University of Maine provides a number of immigration and support services to international faculty and staff prior to arrival and during their employment at UMaine.

Arrival for Faculty and Staff

J-1 Scholars must arrive at the University of Maine and check in with the International Student and Scholar Advisor no later than 30 days from the program start date on the DS-2019. Failure to check in may result in cancellation of the program in SEVIS. The incoming scholar or his/her advisor should make an appointment at OIP for this meeting. The check in process takes about 30 minutes. The Scholar should bring his/her passport, DS-2019 and I-94 entry card and the same for dependent family members traveling with him/her. Scholars or department staff can make appointment with the Student/Scholar Advisor by calling (207) 581-2905. Appointments can be made  here

If a Scholar is unable to enter the U.S. within 30 days of the program start date, he/she should contact OIP as soon as possible so that a new DS-2019 form with a deferred start date can be issued and mailed in time for travel.

Update Your Address

All international students and scholars at the University of Maine must report a change in their US residential address within 10 days of moving. Your residential address is the address for the place where you are currently living. Do NOT submit an office address. Submit your new address by completing this form:

Address Update Form

Taxes for Faculty & Staff

J-1 scholars who need assistance with their tax forms should contact a private tax accountant in the community.

Immigration & Visas for Faculty & Staff

Scholars taking part in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (except Canadians) must appear before a United States Consulate or Embassy in order to secure a J-1 visa. The following items must be presented at the interview: Form DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility issued by the University of Maine), a valid passport, and proof of marriage is necessary in order to obtain a visa for the dependent spouse. Scholars are encouraged to apply for a visa as early as possible.

A SEVIS fee is required of all new J-1 Exchange Visitors and must be paid prior to obtaining a J-1 visa. Please see the Web links below for further information about Visas and the SEVIS Fee.

Scholars with J-1 status who are transferring from an educational institution in the United States should consult with the exchange visitor program sponsor at their present institution for instructions on the Immigration Service’s transfer process. This should be done as early as possible.

Links for further information about Visas and SEVIS Fees

U.S. Visa Policies and Procedures
Visa Appointment & Processing Wait Times
Visa Denials
SEVIS 901 Fee
U.S. Consulates Worldwide

International Programs Events

More International Programs events