Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Teacher Candidacy portfolio?

The Teacher Candidacy portfolio is an assessment tool used to measure a student’s academic preparedness for upper-level teacher education courses. The portfolio assesses students admitted to the College of Education and Human Development Teacher Candidacy program at the end of their sophomore year, ensuring that they have proven their commitment to the profession through self-initiated field experiences and academic performance. Acceptance into Teacher Candidacy allows students to engage in the upper-level education coursework for their respective degree programs.

When is my portfolio due?

Portfolios are accepted twice a year. All components must be satisfied before submitting the portfolio.

  • Fall Submission Date: October 1
  • Spring Submission Date: February 1

Am I required to own an Apple MacBook?

Education majors enrolling in the College are required to own a laptop and it is strongly recommended that it be an Apple MacBook. Please visit Laptops in Education to learn more about the Laptop Initiative.

What is my class standing?

  • Seniors: 84 or more degree credits
  • Juniors: 54 or more degree credits
  • Sophomores: 24 or more degree credits
  • Freshmen: Less than 24 degree credits

How do I register for classes?

In order to register for classes, you must meet with your advisor prior to your actual registration date (this is determined by your class standing). In preparation for the meeting with your advisor, research course offerings and align them to your program. Your organization and preparation for this meeting will be very beneficial to you. At the meeting your advisor will help you make final course selections, answer any questions you may have and provide you with your Personal Identification Number (PIN).

The Advising Center has extended office hours the two weeks prior to registration and during the registration period. We are open 9 a.m.-4 p.m. for walk-in service. If those times do not fit your schedule please call or e-mail the Advising Center: 207.581.2490;

Useful links for course registration:

I would like to minor in education. What does this entail?

The College of Education and Human Development offers an 18-credit minor in education for undergraduate students who wish to explore the field of education. Students must apply for the minor, optimally during the second semester of the second year of study. Applications are available in the Advising Center and are accepted throughout the academic year. Prospective candidates should also meet with the director of undergraduate academic advising and support services to discuss the requirements of the minor. Please read more about the minor in Education. The College of Education and Human Development also offers minors in Child Development and Family Relations, Exercise Science, Outdoor Leadership, and Peace and Reconciliation Studies.

Can I be a teacher in another state when I graduate?

Yes, you can be a teacher in another state. However, each state is unique in their requirements to be a teacher. They may insist that you take an additional exam or coursework in order to fulfill their requirements.