Minor in Education

Minor in EducationThe College of Education and Human Development offers an 18-credit minor in education for undergraduate students who wish to explore the field of education. Students must apply for the minor, optimally during the second semester of the second year of study. Applications are available in the Advising Center and are accepted throughout the academic year. Application requirements include the following elements:

  • A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better
  • Successful completion of EHD 202: Education in a Multicultural Society; EHD 203: Educational Psychology; and an elective in the College of Education and Human Development
  • A grade of C- or better in all education courses
  • Statement addressing your reasons for pursuing the minor

Program design

The minor in education requires 18 credits. Students must take and pass three courses (EHD 202 & 203 and one elective) prior to applying for the minor. Another three courses (EHD 204 & SED 302 and another elective) are required to complete the minor after the application is approved.

Courses to be taken prior to applying for minor:

  • EHD 202: Education in a Multicultural Society (3 credits)
  • EHD 203: Educational Psychology (3 credits)
  • One COEHD elective (3 credits)

Courses to complete the minor:

  • EHD 204: Teaching and Assessing for Student Learning (3 credits)
  • SED 302: Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
  • Another COEHD elective (3 credits)

Some examples of COEHD electives:

  • CHF 201: Introduction to Child Development (3 credits)
  • CHF 433: Adolescence (3 credits)
  • EDT 400: Integrating Technology for Teaching and Learning (3 credits)
  • PSY 224: Psychology of Adolescence (3 credits)
  • Any EHD class at the 101 level or higher

Students Seeking Teacher Certification

Students who wish to pursue teacher certification in Maine must be enrolled in an education major in the College of Education and Human Development or be double majoring in a COEHD major and a major in another College. For students wishing to become certified teachers, the double major is a better option than the minor. A minor in Education does not lead to certification.

An alternative route to a teaching career is the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program, an accelerated master’s degree program designed for individuals with a bachelor’s degree in a subject other than education. For questions about the MAT program, please contact program coordinator Bryan Silverman, lecturer in curriculum, assessment and instruction, bryan.silverman@maine.edu.

To apply

For questions about the undergraduate minor in education, please contact the College of Education and Human Development Advising Center, 100 Shibles Hall, 207.581.2412 or advisingcenter@maine.edu.