Adult Learners

It’s been a while since I attended college. Should I be nervous about going back to college as an adult? 

You share these concerns with many returning adults. Through our Lifelong Learning Advising Center and a one-credit pass-fail course called Introduction to University Studies (UST 100, offered in a five-week format online), we offer two ways to explore your skills, values, goals, and learning style and find a good fit at a program at UMaine or elsewhere that will meet your unique needs and address your unique goals.

When I was in college before, I didn’t do well academically. How will my previous record affect my ability to be admitted back to the University or come in as a transfer student?

Many students have overcome a bad start after some time has passed. But each circumstance is different, and we’ll help you check out what you’ll need to do to come back as a degree candidate, if possible in the field of your choice. Please refer to the advising center to contact an admissions counselor for additional information.

How many of my credits will transfer from another college or university?

Generally, UMaine accepts only credits transferred from an institution with “regional accreditation.” If you studied at another UMSystem school, a Maine community college, or a two-year or four-year program where we’ve worked out an “articulation agreement” or have uploaded some transfer equivalent courses, you can see on-line how your courses will come over to UMaine. UMaine will generally accept credits taken at another UMaine System institution with a grade of C- or higher. We will also credits earned at other regionally accredited institutions with a grade of C- or higher.


When will I receive a bill and when will the bill be due?

The University of Maine provides online electronic bills only.  Email notifications will be sent to the student and their TouchNet authorized user(s) each time a new statement is posted online.  Fall billing statements will be available beginning mid-July, and will be due August 15th for undergraduates and September 15th for graduate students.  Spring billing statements will be available beginning  mid-December, and will be due January 15th. Summer billing statements will be available mid-April, and will be due May 15th.

How is my bill calculated?

The bill is calculated as your charges minus your aid. Your charges are considered direct costs and include: 1) Tuition, 2) Fees, 3) Housing (on-campus), 4) Meal Plan (on-campus). For additional information on the types of charges you will see on your bill, check out the Bursar’s Office website.

How can I view or pay my bill online or authorize others to pay for me?

Online payments (electronic check or credit card) can be made through your MaineStreet Student Center by accessing TouchNet’s Bill + Payment Suite. Instructions on making an online payment. To access TouchNet’s Bill+Payment Suite through MaineStreet, click on the View My Bill link under the finances section on your Student Center. This will take you to your account summary page. On the account summary page, click on the green “View Bill/Payment Options” button. On the next page, click on the yellow Access TouchNet Bill+Payment button. Instructions on authorizing other(s) to have access to your account and make a payment on your behalf.

What types of charges may appear on my bill?

In addition to tuition and fees the following charges may appear on your student bill: room and board, library fines, parking tickets, UMaine health insurance and other miscellaneous charges.

What do I need to know about the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?

Health insurance is mandatory for international students and graduate assistants. It is voluntary for all other students. All eligible University of Maine international and graduate assistant students attending in the Fall and/or Spring semesters will be charged a health insurance fee and are required to provide proof of adequate health insurance in order to waive the fee.

How do I avoid a late fee by filling out the anticipated resources screen?

If there are funds that have not yet been applied to your bill, you must enter information about those funds on the Anticipated Resources page in Self Service on MaineStreet before the due date.  How to enter your Anticipated Resources.

Examples of information that might be entered in this area because the funds are not yet showing on your bill include: tuition waivers, graduate assistantships, or payments that are being made by your employer or another agency. Failure to provide this information and pay any remaining balance will result in a monthly late payment fee.

How can I receive a refund if I have a credit balance on my student account?

Refunds of excess financial aid for the Fall or Spring semester will be available beginning the week before classes start. Refunds of excess financial aid for Summer semester will be available once your first Summer class has begun, if it is appropriate for that excess financial aid to be refunded to you.


How do I Apply for Financial Aid?

The University of Maine only requires one Financial Aid application for both undergraduate and graduate students: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

The FAFSA is a federal form which determines a student’s eligibility for Federal aid.  Based on the information provided, dependency status will be determined as well as the Expected Family contribution.  Both of these items will be used to determine aid eligibility.

What is a FSA ID and how do I get one?

Students, parents, and loan borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites.  The FSA ID replaces the Student Aid PIN.  You will use your FSA ID to access your personal information on the following websites: FAFSA.gov, Studentaid.gov/login, NSLDS.ed.gov, Studentloans.gov.

How do I know if I am a dependent student for financial aid purposes?

Dependency status is determined by the Federal Processing Center based on information provided on the FAFSA.  Financial Aid dependency is different from being claimed as a dependent on a tax return. To use the FAFSA Dependency Status Worksheet to determine what your status is, click here.

What if I haven’t filed my taxes yet?

Income estimates may be used, but you must update your FAFSA once you have completed your Federal income tax return.

What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?

The Student Aid Report is a document students are emailed or mailed by the Federal Processing Center after the FAFSA is processed.  Your SAR will list all of the answers you provided on the FAFSA. Click here for more information on the Student Aid Report.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

The information you reported on your FAFSA is used to calculate your Estimated Family Contribution, or your EFC. The EFC is used to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.  Click here for more information on the Estimated Family Contribution.

How does the financial aid office notify me about my financial aid package?

New, incoming students will receive a paper letter and continuing students will receive an email when you’ve been awarded which will direct you to view and accept your award on MaineStreet. From that point forward, we will notify you via email  if there have been changes made to your award.

How do I accept my financial aid award?

Certain aid (scholarships, grants, assistantships, etc.) are automatically listed as accepted on your MaineStreet account.  If you wish to receive any other type of aid such as loans, you must accept them on MaineStreet.

International Students

Can I apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) as an international student?

International students can apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) after they have been hired to work; applications are available at the OIP front desk.

What is the 1098-T Tax Form and Do I Need It?

This is a tax form which UMaine issues for all students enrolled at UMaine. International students may be asked to include their Social Security Number (SSN) or  International Tax Identification Number (ITIN) in MaineStreet so their 1098-T form can be generated by the university. However, most international students do not benefit from this tax form as this form can only be used by students who can claim tax residency in the U.S.


Where is the Library?

The library is located in Fogler, next to Memorial Union, which is the Student Center. You may refer to the campus map or use the navigate app.

How do I find things in the Library?

The Fogler Library has a list of services and departments in a directory, which are available here.

Can I access materials easily from the library if I’m a person with a disability?

Yes, the library staff can help if necessary. The Library Accessibility Service page is also helpful in answering questions. It also has the UMaine Library contact information.

Transportation and Parking

Are First-Year Students Allowed to Have a Car on Campus?

Yes! Students must obtain a parking permit through the University’s Parking and Transportation Services. Parking fee may apply. Contact the UMaine Parking Services for more information.

Is Public Transportation Available?

The Black Bear Orono Express is a free shuttle service that provides much-needed transportation for our students, staff and visitors within  the University and the Town of Orono communities.

The Bangor Area Transportation (BAT) bus is a free bus that connects the UMaine campus to Bangor. Anytime you see the BAT Bus go by, you’re welcome to flag it down, even if you’re not at an official stop.

Can I park in a timed visitor or metered parking space?

If you are a student or staff member, then no.  Metered and timed visitor parking is for visitors to this campus only.

Can I be ticketed if there are no parking spaces? 

The University of Maine running out of parking spaces is extremely rare and unlikely, and we will make special allowances if it does occur.  We cannot, however, ensure that there are always parking spaces in the students’ preferred lots.  Parking spaces are consistently available in the Satellite Lot, the Hilltop Commuter Lot, and the York Village Lot.  Regularly updated counts of parking spaces on campus can be found by calling 207-581-INFO(4636).

I’m arriving on campus after 4:00 pm.  Where can I get a parking pass? 

Lots are open to the public Monday – Friday after 4:00 pm only and on the weekends.  Please see the Winter Parking Ban if you plan to be on campus after midnight any day between November 1st to May 1st.


How do I get things started to use my GI Bill benefits?

The first thing you should do is contact the VA and determine what benefits you qualify for and then get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or your Notice of Benefits Eligibility (NOBE).  From there you can follow our checklist to get everything else going.

I filled out a request for VA benefits last semester.  Do I still have to fill this form out again?

You must certify your classes for each semester if you want to get paid by the VA. Fill out a Certification Request.

How do I get in touch with the VA education benefits office?

The office for this region is located in Buffalo.  They can be reached at 1.888.GIBILL.1 (1.888.442.4551).

Is there a place where I can meet and talk with other veteran students?

There is a veteran’s lounge in the VETS office located at 143 in the Memorial Union.  It is staffed from 8 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.  We would love to have you come in and visit.

Resources Activating my UMaine Portal, Billing FAQ from Bursar, Financial Aid FAQ, How to Study, International FAQ, Library, Lifelong Learner FAQ, Maine Card, Parking FAQ, Scholarship Universe, TRIO SSS Interest Form, Veterans FAQs.