How do I get things started to use my GI Bill benefits?

The first thing you should do is contact the VA and determine what benefits you qualify for and then get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or your Notice of Benefits Eligibility (NOBE).  From there you can follow our checklist to get everything else going.

School has started why hasn’t my bill been paid with the Bursar’s office?

Depending on what chapter of benefits you are using we may be waiting on the add/drop period to pass before certifying your classes to the VA.  This allows you to adjust your schedule without incurring a debt or an overage that will have to be paid back later.  We suggest that you go to Mainestreet and update your anticipated resources so that you don’t incur a late fee.

Do I have to go to class on Veteran’s day?

University of Maine classes are not in session on Veterans Day except for classes that meet once per week.

I filled out a request for VA benefits last semester.  Do I still have to fill this form out again?

You MUST certify your classes for each semester if you want to get paid by the VA. Fill out a Certification Request now!

How do I get started with my Army Guard benefits?

To start the process for Ch. 1606/1607 benefits go to: ArmyIgnitEd

Do I have to let you know if I add or drop classes?

You should let us know any time there is a change in your class schedule.  If it is done before the add/drop period we can help to ensure that you don’t incur any overages or debts.

Why wasn’t my payment this month the same as last month?

There could be several reasons. If you have been getting paid regularly and there is a sudden change in your benefits (not related to end of semester or break periods) you will have to contact the VA to find out why.  We do not process payments.

I am going to UMaine and another school.  Do I still need to fill out a certification of my classes?

Yes, you still need to verify with us the classes that you are taking.  It is your responsibility to verify that the classes you are taking are covered.

How do I get college credit for my military service?

You can request a Joint Services Transcript from the DoD be sent directly to the school.

I am Ch. 33 (post 9/11 benefits).  Where is the money for my books?

The stipend for books is at the beginning of each semester and is based on the number of classes that you are taking.  The stipend is capped at $1000 for the entire school year.

Is there a place where I can meet and talk with other veteran students?

There is a veteran’s lounge in the VETS office located at 161 in the Memorial Union.  It is staffed from 9 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.  We would love to have you come in and visit.

What kind of Veteran’s Clubs are available on campus?

UMaine Veterans Association

UMVA on Maine Day in front of the Memorial Union

How do I get in touch with the VA education benefits office?

The office for this region is located in Buffalo.  They can be reached at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

How do I find out how much of my benefits I have used and what I have left?

You can find out what benefits you have used and have remaining at eBenefits

How to apply for Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (CHAMPVA)?

It is the responsibility of the student to request verification of enrollment each semester.  Students must be certified with CHAMPVA every semester to receive this benefit.  The Office of Student Records, at the University of Maine can provide verification of enrollment . You must  specifically request that the verification of enrollment letter  include your Social Security number if needed. Enrollment Verification Request

 If you have questions that aren’t answered here then please submit them to: