All F-1 and J-1 students and their dependents in the US are required to have health insurance.   The University of Maine offers a comprehensive benefit plan.  We recommend that students choose this plan but students may waive the UMaine plan if they have an alternate plan that meets our criteria (criteria listed below).

Click here to access the Gallagher portal which includes information about the plan (in the “Plan Details” section). Students will also use the portal to enroll in the plan or to waive the plan (in the “Plan Summary” section). The deadline for waivers is the end of the first week of classes.

Click here to learn more about health insurance and the US healthcare system.

Health Insurance Enrollment Options:

Enroll in UMaine plan:  Click here to enroll.  Login with your UMaine login information.  You must be enrolled in classes to login.

Auto-enrollment in UMaine plan: If you do not request a waiver by the deadline  you will be automatically enrolled in the UMaine plan. The charge will be added to your bill and you will be expected to pay.

Waive the UMaine insurance by submitting alternate plan information:  Click here to waive plan.  You must complete the waiver request form which includes information about your alternate plan before the deadline (Fall arrivals: September 15; Spring arrivals: January 31).  No waiver requests will be accepted after the deadline.  If you miss this deadline you will be charged for the UMaine plan.

Minimum Required Levels of Coverage

  • Medical benefit of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
  • $50,000 to cover expenses associated with the medical evacuation;
  • $25,000 for the repatriation of remains
  • The deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Cost for the UMaine insurance plan for the 2023-2024  academic year (subject to change)

Benefits and rates are subject to state and federal requirements and Maine state approval. Company reserves the right to make any changes necessary to meet such requirements.

Coverage Plan Cost Effective Dates
Annual                   (12 months) $2,820 August 1 – July 31
Fall Semester          (5 months) $1,179 August 1 – December 31
Spring Semester    (7 months) $1,641 January 1 – July 31
Summer                (2 months) $470 June 1 – July 31

  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What if I need to use my insurance, but have not gotten my ID card?

You should enroll in the insurance plan as soon as possible. For current students, insurance ID cards are available immediately upon enrollment through the student account (the only exception is if you are enrolling for the first time. Then you will need to create your student account and your cards will be available within 24 to 48 hours). If you encounter any issues or need your card information urgently, please contact our office and we can help you expedite the process. 

Some doctor’s offices offer delayed billing. This means that you can visit the doctor and then pay the bill at a later time. When your proof of insurance cards arrive you can bring them to the doctor’s office and they will remove any charges that are covered by the insurance plan.  Be sure to discuss your situation with someone in the doctor’s office before your visit. In some offices delayed billing is not available. In those cases, you must pay the full price for your visit. After you receive your proof of insurance cards, you can work with the insurance company to be reimbursed for the amount that should have been covered by the insurance plan.

If you need prescriptions you will have to pay the full price of the prescription. Then, after you receive your proof of insurance cards, you can work with the insurance company to be reimbursed for the amount that should have been covered by the insurance plan.

Why do I need to have health insurance?

American health care is very expensive and you must have appropriate insurance coverage.  If you fail to obtain health insurance to cover your medical costs you will be responsible for paying your medical bills in full.  Even simple medical procedures can amount to thousands of dollars.

Are exchange students required to have health insurance? And what is the process?

Yes. The US Government requires all exchange students to have minimum levels of coverage during their stay in the US. These requirements are listed above. All exchange students are enrolled automatically in the UMaine International Insurance Plan for the full academic year. If you are an exchange student for only one semester at UMaine, you can adjust the dates of your UMaine insurance coverage by submitting the Request for Coverage Form link at the top of this page.  Yearlong exchange students must have health insurance for the full year. If you have any questions, please contact our office. 

What if I have my own insurance?

Any alternate insurance plan must meet at least the Required Levels of Coverage listed above and the plan must be valid for the entire time that you will study at UMaine. Please remember that you get what you pay for. Be sure to read the entire plan before choosing it. It may not cover important items that you may need such as ambulance services.

Anyone wishing to use an alternate insurance plan should fill out the Insurance Waiver through the insurance website (link provided above). If the request is approved, the charge for the health insurance plan will be removed within a few days.

Can I have health insurance for only one semester?

Only exchange students enrolling at UMaine for one semester or students graduating in December can have health insurance coverage for less than one year. All other international students must have health insurance for the full year.

How do I know if my plan meets the minimum coverage levels?

Since the Office of International Programs does not employ anyone who specializes in insurance we are unable to assist in reviewing and approving insurance plans. Any questions should be directed to the insurance company that administers the plan.

When will I get my insurance ID cards?

During the enrollment period (dates TBD) you must fill out the enrollment request form (link to Cross Insurance website provided above). Within 48 hours of submitting the form, you should receive an email in your account with instructions on how to access your ID card.