Information for Current Students
- Advisor’s Handbook: Review expectations of Academic Advisors and your expectations as an Advisee.
- Current Academic Calendar: Important dates (add, drop, academic breaks etc.).
- Facebook fan page: Like the CLAS Advising Center on Facebook! We will be posting helpful tips plus links to our blog and our informational videos.
- General Education: Requirements for any student to graduate from the University of Maine in addition to their major.
- MaineStreet: Students can access and manage their academic records and financial information.
- Student Handbook: Know your rights, expectations and resources while a student at the University of Maine.
- Undergraduate Catalog: Access helpful information including, but not limited to: colleges and programs, course descriptions, expenses and fees and financial aid.
Choosing a Major
Whether you are thinking about changing your major or are currently undeclared, the CLAS Advising Center is here to help you! Selecting a major can sometimes be difficult and make you feel anxious. However, the University of Maine and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has dedicated faculty and staff to assist you through this process.
During your first academic year at the University of Maine, you will be encouraged to complete courses that not only fulfill General Education categories, but that also go towards a major of interest. Through various Group Advising Sessions, one-on-one advising meetings and joint programs with campus resources like the Career Center, students will receive guidance and support while selecting a major.
Prior to making an appointment with an Academic Advisor in the CLAS Advising Center, take time and review the available majors offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. There are numerous majors and minors for CLAS student to choose from. For an extensive list, please visit the Academic Link of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences website or the College and Programs Link of the Undergraduate Catalog website.
- Print your Academic Progress Report from your MaineStreet Account. Don’t know how to access this information? Please view the CLAS Advising Center FAQ’s link
- Fill out a General Education Worksheet and bring it to your meeting.
- Prepare a brief list of questions (i.e. where is a certain department, when do I declare a major, selecting courses).
- Write your appointment date and time in your calendar. Please contact an Academic Adviser prior to your meeting if you need to reschedule.
At the close of each semester, your transcript will be reviewed to establish your academic standing. Academic standing is determined using both semester and cumulative grade point averages (GPAs). The levels of academic standing are:
- Good Standing
- Academic Probation
- Academic Suspension
- Academic Dismissal
- Non-Degree Student Status
For any questions, contact Michelle Gayne, Academic Advisor & Records Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org or 207.581.1987.