Brief Alcohol Screening Intervention for College Students (BASICS)
This program is designed for students to explore their drinking in a non-judgmental environment. This program is delivered in two ways, either as a class or as a one-on-one meeting with a licensed counselor.
Blood Alcohol Level (BAL) Calculator
Sometimes called Blood Alcohol Content, a person’s BAL informs them how intoxicated they are from alcohol. There are four main factors that determine a person’s BAL.
- Amount of Alcohol Consumed
Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO
Who should take the check-up?
The Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO is not specifically for any one person or type. The survey is designed to gather information about you and assess your habits to provide feedback indicating personalized drinking patterns and risk patterns as well as ways to cope, overcome, improve, or maintain. Even if you are not a person who typically drinks it can still useful to determine how you compare to classmates.
The Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO will provide you with accurate and personalized feedback about:
- Your individual drinking pattern
- Your risk patterns
- Your aspirations and goals
- Helpful resources at University of Maine and in your community
University Policies and Regulations
There are two documents which outline university policy and conduct code. Both are linked below.
Research on drugs, including alcohol, is constantly ongoing. This is especially true for marijuana, given its legality in some states, potential legalization in others, and its medical status in several more states.
We encourage those looking for factual information to check various websites. When deciding which websites to use, try to avoid those with a cause or which are trying to sell something.
- NIDA, the National Institute of Drug Abuse – Although this is a government website, NIDA strives to be objective, citing factual research-based information.
- Alcohol MD – Research-based information on alcohol and medication
- National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Alcohol Problems and Solutions – This site takes a surprisingly oppositional view of many of the current beliefs.
Marijuana and Other Drugs
- Erowid – Documenting the Complex Relationship Between Humans and Psychoactives
- Street Drugs
- Pill Identifier
- Maine Tobacco Help Line – 800.207.1230
- American Lung Association