Online Synchronous Consulting
What We Do
The UMaine Writing Center has supported face-to-face consultations since 1978, and online consultations since 2016. We are trained in online literacy and we offer synchronous peer-consultations (i.e.: virtual face-to-face consultations in real time) with professionally trained UMaine student consultants.
We are here to help faculty and students make the transition to virtual instruction in alignment with UMaine’s response to the coronavirus.
Our services are free and open to all members of the university community.
Writing Center Virtual Orientation-Fall 2020
See What Actually Happens…
Our online consultations are synchronous
We discuss your work, listen to your answers, and insist you write them down…
Navigating Online Consultations
- Log in to our website or register for an account
- Sign up for a consultation with an online peer-consultant by selecting “Yes – Schedule Online Appointment” under the “Meet Online?” section of the form
- You can attach up to three (3) documents. Attach any rubrics along with your project drafts
- 5-10 minutes before your consultaion, select your appointment and click “Start or Join Online Consultation“
- A popup page will allow you to start a video chat and share documents with the peer-consultant
- Please ensure your computer’s microphone and video is operational, or your appointment is subject to cancellation (if they are not operational, try switching browsers)
- Please ensure you have reliable access to wifi