Welcome to the University of Maine Writing Center!
Go to WCOnline to register for an account with your maine.edu email. Doing so will allow you to view our schedule and make appointments right online.
We work with all students and staff at any point in the writing process. Whether it’s creative writing, an oral or multi modal presentation, a literature review, or finding and citing sources, we can work with you.
Visit the Writing Center FAQs page to learn more about us!
Introducing Online Open Hangouts!
In addition to regular tutoring, we are offering open Google Hangouts sessions.
An open Hangout does not require you to make an appointment and acts as an online live chat tutorial.
For more information, visit our Online Writing Resources page.
Come see us!
We are offering regular face-to-face hours in 402 Neville Hall as well as tutoring in Fogler Library. We are excited to debut online tutoring via Google Hangouts! To make appointments and view our schedule, click below.
For more information and directions for Hangouts tutorials, visit our Online Writing Resources page.
The Writing Center is committed to expanding our services and expertise, and to expanding the expertise of all writers. Our mission is to create longitudinal improvement in writing and communication through peer-to-peer collaboration. We provide undergraduates and graduates with professional development opportunities. We support faculty workload and awareness of current research trends in writing convention and assessment.
What should you bring?
The most important thing to bring is the assignment (if you have one) and any writing you have done so far on the assignment.
Here is a helpful list of things to consider bringing:
- The assignment (class notes, handouts, syllabus, etc)
- Your paper, or multiple drafts of your paper
- Research materials (this sometimes helps with citation questions or quoting)
Beyond a tutorial we provide:
- Tutoring in languages other than English (see About the Tutors for further details)
- Online tutoring
- Plagiarism, MLA, APA, and Grammar Workshops
- PC Workstation with Internet access
- Apple TV for presentations
- A comfortable study environment with tutors ready to answer questions and give advice
- A SafeZone trained environment