Welcome to the Writing Center!
Summer Hours and Online Tutoring
The Writing Center is open this summer! We are offering regular face-to-face hours in the center in 402 Neville Hall as well as online tutoring services. To sign up for face-to-face tutorials and to view our schedule, visit our website.
For online appointments,
Before your appointment:
- Sign in to your @maine.edu Google account.
- Add your document to your Google Drive.
- Share your document to email@example.com through Google Drive before your appointment.
- Put the link to your document in your appointment request form.
To attend your appointment:
- Appoints are held through Google Hangouts.
- To access Google Hangouts (and Google Drive), click on the Google apps icon in the upper right corner of a new tab of Google Chrome (it looks like a square). For Hangouts, click More on the dropdown menu. Hangouts is in the bottom middle.
- At the time of your appointment, send us a message by searching our email address above.
- Your tutor will give you a call!
Please note that online tutors accept appointments to fit their schedule and hours and will not be continuously available like regular face-to-face tutorials. Because of this, please plan accordingly and make an online appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
Congratulations are in order!
First, to Brady Andrews and Tyler O’Keefe, Recipients of the Abby Sargent Neese Kelly Creative Writing Scholarship!
Second, to Grace Marshall, Drew Beaupré, Molly Masters, and Alexandria Mooney on their graduations!
Third, to all of the tutors for their hard work!
All our well-wishes to everyone!
Go to WCOnline to register and make an account. Doing so will allow you to view our schedule and make appointments for in-person tutorials, conducted in 402 Neville Hall.
From there, you will also be able to schedule your appointment online. A white box means the appointment slot is available, while blue and gray mean that one is not.
If you are already registered, click the link below to sign in and schedule a face-to-face tutorial!
Our mission is to create longitudinal improvement in writing and communication through peer-to-peer collaboration. We provide undergraduates and graduates with professional development opportunities. We support faculty workload and awareness of current research trends in writing convention and assessment. The Writing Center is committed to expanding our services and expertise, and to expanding the expertise of all writers.
To schedule an appointment today, go to our website, call 207.581.3828, or drop in! (Please note that the availability for drop-in hours goes down as the semester nears its end.)
To view each tutor’s hours, see Tutor Hours
We are still offering online tutoring through UC-VAWLT. To schedule an online tutorial, go to their website for online tutoring.
What should you bring?
The most important thing to bring is the assignment (if you have one) and any writing you have done so far on the assignment.
Here is a helpful list of things to consider bringing:
- The assignment (class notes, handouts, syllabus, etc)
- Your paper, or multiple drafts of your paper
- Research materials (this sometimes helps with citation questions or quoting)
Beyond a tutorial we provide:
- Tutoring in languages other than English (see About the Tutors for further details)
- Online tutoring
- Plagiarism, MLA, APA, and Grammar Workshops
- PC Workstation with Internet access
- Apple TV for presentations
- A comfortable study environment with tutors ready to answer questions and give advice
- A SafeZone trained environment
We are currently collaborating with UC Virtual Academic Writing Lab Tutors (VAWLT), an online tutoring platform through the University of Maine System; please utilize their website for online tutoring.