Use this checklist to ensure all of your necessary paperwork is completed!
1. Federal I-9 Form
The Federal I-9 Form is the official Employment Eligibility Verification document. This form must be completed in person at the Office of Student Employment.
The Federal I-9 Form MUST be completed within 3 business days of the student’s first day of employment. It is advised that students come into our office IMMEDIATELY following being hired by an employer to comply with this regulation. If an I-9 is not completed for a student within 3 business days of beginning work, they will be required to STOP working until all required paperwork is completed.
2. Student Employment Work Authorization Form
When a student is hired in a department for the first time, the student and their employer will need to fill out the Student Authorization Form. This form should be obtained by the Student’s Supervisor and not the Student. Students, you must sign this and your supervisor must submit it to us for us to have a record of your job and for your job to be processed!
- The Student Authorization Form needs to be completed every academic year and every summer (if the student is working during the summer term)
- The Student Authorization Form must be completed before a student begins working
- Once completed the student Authorization Form must be submitted to the Office of Student Employment for processing
3. University of Maine Direct Deposit
All new, first-time student employees and student employees who have not worked for the University in the past 12 months must enroll in Payroll Direct Deposit. Direct deposit is mandatory for all student employees. Students should enroll in Payroll Direct Deposit on MaineStreet.
PLEASE NOTE: Students will not have access to enroll in Direct Deposit until their required I-9 form and Authorization form have been completed, submitted to student employment, and processed.
4. Federal W-4 Form
All new, first-time student employees and students who have not worked for the University in the past 12 months must complete both the Federal W-4 and State of Maine W-4 tax forms. Both of these forms should be completed on MaineStreet.
PLEASE NOTE: Students will not have access to update their W-4 information until their required I-9 form and Authorization form have been completed, submitted to student employment, and processed.
The Office of Student Employment and the Payroll Office can answer basic questions about how to complete the form, but cannot offer any advice on what to file on the form. Students who have tax questions should speak with their parents or their tax professional.
- Student earnings, including Federal Work-Study, are taxable.
- If you file “EXEMPT” on your W-4, your exempt status is only valid for one year. If you wish to continue your exempt status, you must file a new W-4 every January.
- All student employees are exempt from FICA (Social Security Tax) provided they are enrolled at least half time, including the summer term.