UMaine and UMaine Machias Resources for Youth
The University of Maine and University of Maine at Machias host youth and their families on our campuses through classroom visits and special events. Below is a list of facilities, departments and groups that you can contact to inquire about youth programming. Click on the link and contact the organizations directly:
- Collins Center for the Arts
- Emera Astronomy and Science Center
- Hudson Museum
- New Balance Student Recreation Center
- University of Maine at Machias Early College for Maine High School Students
- Canadian-American Center
- Consider Engineering: University of Maine Pulp & Paper Foundation
- Margaret Chase Smith Library
- Aquaculture me!
- Black Bear Tutors
- Maine STEM Partnership
Collins Center for the Arts
Emera Astronomy and Science Center
This website has a variety of astronomy resources for all ages, links for teachers, and general information about our center.
- Offering weekly public showings on Fridays and Sundays.
- Universe Explorers of Maine
An online astronomy club open to the public that offers its members the ability to explore space from home using SLOOH.
- Facebook: Emera Astronomy and Science Center
Up-to-date astronomy and space news, weekly online virtual online sky lectures and flatscreen planetarium show content, and hands-on activities. Posts on Fridays and Sundays which follow our public program schedule.
- YouTube Channel: Emera Astronomy and Science Center
Place to find our video content including virtual sky lectures, monthly newsletter video messages, and COVID-19 research in our dome.
The Hudson Museum’s website features online resources, especially for teachers:
- Resources: Maine Indians: A Web Resource List for Teachers; this page provides information on many websites, books, and videos on Wabanaki history and culture.
- NEW Online Exhibit: Maine’s Threatened Shell Middens: Losing a Link to Understanding Our Past
- Video: Sources of Inspiration (YouTube)
- Visit the Hudson Museum’s Youtube Channel which features 19 videos showcasing Wabanaki artists talking about basket making, birchbark and carving traditions, and much more!
- Search the public access database, Welcome to our Online Collections Database! where you can explore the Museum’s collection from cultures around the world; currently, 8600 artifacts are online.
- Visit our Online Exhibits page! Learn about Maine shell middens, Persian calligraphy, Mayan ceramics, and more!
- The Maya and More: Mesoamerican Tour (YouTube)
- The Wabanaki (YouTube)
- Maine’s Glacial History (YouTube)
New Balance Student Recreation Center
- NEW for UM Students/Employees/Alumni: Access online workouts from 40+ schools via 2020 Recreation Movement portal!
University of Maine at Machias Early College for Maine High School Students
Consider Engineering: University of Maine Pulp & Paper Foundation
- Consider Engineering is a challenging and rewarding four-day summer program for high school juniors to get a taste of college life and what it takes to be an engineer.
Margaret Chase Smith Library
- Virtual Field Trips
- Lesson Plans for various age groups
- National History Day in Maine
- National History Day Lesson Plan Collection
- Virtual Aquaculture Education Workshops
Black Bear Tutors
- Black Bear Tutors is collaborating with local schools and aftercare programs to offer virtual tutors for K-12 students during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Maine STEM Partnership