Adventure Story: Journey to the Frozen Ocean

Sometimes a name on a map in a hard to get to place inspires me. While planning a solo canoe expedition in the North Maine Woods, I saw it. Frozen Ocean. I added an extra day to my trip. I had to check it out. Frozen Ocean is nestled west of Allagash Mountain and south of Poland Mountain, in what the topo map showed was a swampy bog. I couldn’t wait to find it. 

After an early breakfast, I hopped into my canoe and headed toward the small stream that should take me to the Frozen Ocean. The forested pond banks gave way to alders and the inlet become a narrow stream. There was a small current, a good sign I’d be able to follow the stream through the alders. I stood up in the stern, picked up my 11-foot setting pole, and started guiding my canoe upriver. 

If you’ve ever canoed through alders in Maine, you’ll know it’s a fascinating experience. Unless you’re quite tall, you can’t really see anything beyond your immediate location. Streams through alders are often twisty, narrow, and full of beaver dams. 

My journey to the Frozen Ocean did not disappoint! I wound my way up, doing my best to follow the current. I stopped for snacks, spied on beavers, marveled at the

forest view
View from Allagash Mountain Fire Tower

well-constructed dams, and swatted black flies. I even made up a poling to the Frozen Ocean song. I sang to the beavers. Finally, I reached the castle of all beaver dams, a sign I decided. I took a bearing off Allagash Mountain to figure out if I, in fact, reached the Frozen Ocean. There was not a certain conclusion. I said goodbye to the beavers and pointed my canoe downstream, happy as a clam.

Author: Beth Jackson, Coordinator at Maine Bound

We would love to feature your adventure story on the Maine Bound Blog! Send your 300 word submission with a few photos and a short bio to um.mainebound@maine.edu.