Entering the U.S.

  • You cannot enter the United States as a student more than 30 days prior to the start of your I-20 or DS-2019;
  • Present the following documents to the port of entry official:
  1. Passport with F-1 or J-1 visa stamp  (not required for Canadians citizens);
  2. Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued to you by the University of Maine or your sponsor;
  3. Proof of the SEVIS fee payment;
  • You may also want to carry the following with you in your carry-on luggage:
  1. Letter of admission to the University of Maine;
  2. Evidence of your financial support;
  • Money in the amount of $10,000 or more and items of considerable value must be declared on entry. If you have questions regarding U.S. CBP regulations, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country before leaving or visit the CBP website.