Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions:

Who is a commuter student?  Any student who is not living in any of the UMaine administered housing ( residence halls & apartments ) is considered a commuter students.   This includes those students living across the street in the privately owned ” student housing ” complexes as well as the student who drives from Ellsworth and farther. CNTSP also serves those in University Park since as family housing these students are generally non traditional.

Do I need a MaineCard?  Even if you are only taking one class, the MaineCard costs nothing and comes with these great benefits: free rides on the Community Connection and UMaine- Orono  express (bus) , discounts at the Bears Den  and local businesses, and $16 for printing on the university computers. Get a thumb drive, put your class projects on it, and print them from the university computers. That $16 for printing is well worth using!

How do I print? You can print from the university computers or via your own laptop, but may need to find out exactly where the printing goes. For example, printing from the computers in the Commuter Lounge sends the print request downstairs to the Union’s computer center. There is a charge for printing, so you’ll need your MaineCard, but the first $16 is free each semester. You can make double-sided copies and color copies, but you’ll need to find those printers before you print. One of the printers in the Union’s computer center will print double-sided and there is a color printer  on the 2nd floor of the Memorial Union.  Printers are also available in the Library If you need a professional print out or binding for a class project, Printing Services on campus can handle that for you.

Where can I make copies? Copy machines are available in the library. If you put some funds (called Black Bear Bucks) on your MaineCard, you can swipe your card to make copies.

Where are quiet places to study? The library is an obvious location, but the quiet areas may be difficult to find. Investigation will reveal nooks at the end of aisles in the middle of the library (The Stacks). The Union is quite large and contains seating areas along hallways that can be quiet study areas, such as those on the 3rd floor. The lower floor also contains some quiet seating areas. The Coe lounge on the 2nd floor is usually open and quiet, but is also sometimes reserved for special meetings. The NSA reserves the room for an hour or two once a week during the semester for the use of non-traditional students. The two weeks before and during finals, a room or two in the Union is reserved for any student to use for study—notices are usually posted in the Commuter Lounge .  Most classroom buildings have study areas. Aubert, Neville, and Nutting, for example, have large foyers with tables and chairs.

Where do non-traditional students hang out? You’ll almost always find a non-traditional student in the Commuter Lounge on the ground floor of the Union.

How do I meet other non traditional students who are parents?  There are more students who are parents at UMaine then you might think . It just might be hard to know who they are . Drop by the Commuter Lounge and several of the CNTSP student  staff are parents and they will introduce you to others . Also the Family Room is right down the hall from the Commuter lounge and you can often find children and their student / parents. The Nontraditional Students Association sponsors a family movie and pizza event 2 or 3 times each semester and this is a great way to bring your children to a family friendly university event and meet other student parents