Pre-departure for International Students - Packing & Luggage
- Be sure to keep all of your important documents (passport, I-20) in your carry on bag;
- You can use our office address and telephone number on your luggage name tags in case it is delayed;
- Have this contact information inside your luggage, in case the luggage tag comes off;
- If your luggage is delayed, give the airline our office address for delivery.
GENERAL PACKING TIPS
- Bring only what you will need and travel lightly, you will have the opportunity to buy clothes once you are here;
- For spring semester arrivals, pack warm clothing;
- The electric grid in the U.S. is different than in Europe and many other countries. Make sure you have an adapter for your laptop and other electronic items before you travel;
- You will have opportunities to dress in your national clothes and to share information about your country and its culture with other students at international festivals and at school and community organizations.
- We have scheduled a shopping trip in Bangor on day two of Orientation. You can buy essential items such as pillows, blankets, sheets, towels, snacks, etc. If you would like to pre-order bedding so that you have it on the night of your arrival please fill out the bedding pre-order form;
- Consider bringing with you any small items or pictures that will make you feel “at home” in your residence hall or apartment;
- Money in the amount of $10,000 or more and items of considerable value must be declared on entry. If you have questions regarding U.S. CBP regulations, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country before leaving or visit the CBP website.
Last Modified On July 25, 2014